2001 yz426 aluminum shavings in oil filter?

8 replies to this topic
  • slow799

Posted July 17, 2004 - 11:56 PM

I have a 2001 YZ 426 that I bought at the beginning of the summer. I have only had time to ride it about 4 times for a total of maybe 10hrs or so. I bought it from a dealer, so I didn't really do much before riding it the first time. my mistake. I changed the oil and filter only to find numerous metal flakes in the oil filter, and area. I filtered out all the oil I drained from the cases, and it was clean. I also had the cams out, as I swapped to a 450 cam, and the cam journals were clean, and no unusual wear there. The metal was not magnetic, so it wasn't gears, or bearings I wouldn't think, but I have no clue what this would be coming from. any ideas what this would be coming from. It runs too strong for me to think it would be something from the top end.
I am afraid of doing farther damage, but when asking another mechanic about it, he told me to ride it another 40 miles or so, and then change the oil again and see what it looks like. I just don't have a clue where it would be coming from, as the only aluminum things I can think of are the cases...
any input would be greatly appreciated, as I really don't want to end up having to buy a new motor. thats why I switched to thumpers:(
John
2001 YZ426
1992 ZX7

• Satch0922

Posted July 18, 2004 - 02:49 AM

normal. Change the oil every other ride and clean the filter every other oil change.

• cmore

Posted July 18, 2004 - 02:33 PM

The flakes in the filter is a normal thing. You will also get a metalic silvery hint to the oil when drained. I changed my oil every other ride. 100% synthetic ROYAL PURPLE :thumbsup:

• Maddog542

Posted July 18, 2004 - 08:28 PM

Has anyone tried the Zip-Ty magnetic plug to see if it helps with this problem? I was thinking of oredering one anyhow and I haven't seen any metal in my oil yet. Now I'm really considering it. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted July 19, 2004 - 12:01 AM

if theres no metal in your oil you oil pump probably isnt working :thumbsup:

• felony

Posted July 19, 2004 - 06:46 PM

NEWSFLASH!! i too would get metal particles in my oil and never really though about it UNTIL my bike stopped last week.i kicked it a few times and it wouldnt start,tried again and the kickstarter froze.i tore off the valve cover thinking it could be timing chain or cam gears,they were fine,i preceded to tear down the motor and when i took the cylinder off,i saw a lil' section(about an inch)of aluminum in the cylinder where the plating had rubbed off!i got this bike in march used so i dont know the history but i have always been meticulous with my upkeep.im just glad new yz 426 cylinders are only $200.im thinking everytime i change my oil filter from hear on out im gonna see "plating" coming off my cylinder.coincidence? who knows ? :thumbsup:

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 20, 2004 - 06:15 AM

I have a 2001 YZ 426 that I bought at the beginning of the summer. I have only had time to ride it about 4 times for a total of maybe 10hrs or so. I bought it from a dealer, so I didn't really do much before riding it the first time. my mistake. I changed the oil and filter only to find numerous metal flakes in the oil filter, and area. I filtered out all the oil I drained from the cases, and it was clean. I also had the cams out, as I swapped to a 450 cam, and the cam journals were clean, and no unusual wear there. The metal was not magnetic, so it wasn't gears, or bearings I wouldn't think, but I have no clue what this would be coming from. any ideas what this would be coming from. It runs too strong for me to think it would be something from the top end.
I am afraid of doing farther damage, but when asking another mechanic about it, he told me to ride it another 40 miles or so, and then change the oil again and see what it looks like. I just don't have a clue where it would be coming from, as the only aluminum things I can think of are the cases...
any input would be greatly appreciated, as I really don't want to end up having to buy a new motor. thats why I switched to thumpers:(
John
2001 YZ426
1992 ZX7

One question.

Did you have the cams out before or after you noticed the metal shavings?

Reason I ask is when you installed the cams, if you didn't torque the caps down using the proper torque specs you can cause problems. I being stupid overtorqued my caps by not using a torque wrench and just a socket wrench nad my hand. What it did is cause the cam clearance in the journals to tighten up and the cam ate the journals depositing all kinds of aluminum in my filter. My head eventually failed cause of this.

This may not be your deal but another possible piece to the puzzle to consider. :thumbsup:

• SXP

Posted July 20, 2004 - 11:51 AM

Would you be willing to part with the damaged cylinder for a small fee?

• del_scorcho

Posted July 20, 2004 - 12:53 PM

Has anyone tried the Zip-Ty magnetic plug to see if it helps with this problem? I was thinking of oredering one anyhow and I haven't seen any metal in my oil yet. Now I'm really considering it. :thumbsup:

I don't have any metal shavings in my oil filter anymore but I did buy a ZipTy magnetic plug. It does catch some fine shavings. The shavings are really fine and not the same kind that I used to find in my filter. I got the magnetic plug cheap so I figured I might as well put it on as a safeguard.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.