rekluse lets me down!

8 replies to this topic
  • tool

Posted July 17, 2004 - 06:09 PM

alright, let me first say that i like the clutch and my problem is that i dont have the lever override.
i was riding this huge, steep and rocky hillclimb. my trusty auto-clutch 426 has never let me down, but this hill was different. my bike pulled hard at the bottom of the hill, but as i got further up the hill the RPM would keep dropping... to the point where i would stop and be unable to start uphill again.
i kept trying it, raised the stall speed, but nothing worked. it climbs everything but that hill.
just a heads-up. if your a perspective auto-clutch buyer and think it will make your bike a great hillclimber, be prepared to spend the extra $100 on the override lever.

• machoman_#618

Posted July 18, 2004 - 12:09 AM

sounds to me like you got a burn't clutch plate ,should be the one on the outside. You got the old style? or gen 3? Happened to me. I didin't go back and adjust mine :thumbsup:

• renegade

Posted July 18, 2004 - 04:04 PM

I also think that it's your clutch plates. The z-start is basically acting as your top plate of the clutch stack; I think it's the stack itself that is letting you down. The yz's have had a history of needing special treatment when it comes to plates and the z-start. I suggest you call rekluse and talk to those guys; I don't think they'll let you down.

• tool

Posted July 18, 2004 - 07:23 PM

The yz's have had a history of needing special treatment when it comes to plates and the z-start.

but the fiber plates are recentley new. :thumbsup: what kind of special treatment are you reffering to? i havent really overheated the clutch at all, only have about 15 hours on the fibers. i also have this horrible clutch noise when i take off now, like a chatter or a loud howl. its like the clutch basket or hub is resonating. the last time i had this problem, the innermost friction disc facing the hub was glazed. could this be where the sound is coming from? ill take it apart tomorrow.
could i use an 01 seat plate (not the clutch boss spring, just the seat plate) to eliminate the friction between the innermost friction plate and hub?
i will call rekluse tomorrow and see what they think, but i was just assuming i didnt have enough RPM to engage smoothly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machoman_#618

Posted July 18, 2004 - 11:59 PM

it really sounds like you need to adjust your stack more than you have the old style? alot of little shims you put between each bolt? If you do ,I bet 3 blind mice thats your problem :thumbsup:Time to adjust my friend

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 19, 2004 - 01:40 AM

If the RPM is dropping then it sounds like the motor itself is letting you down. Perhaps you are a gear to high?

• tool

Posted July 19, 2004 - 10:40 AM

If the RPM is dropping then it sounds like the motor itself is letting you down. Perhaps you are a gear to high?

that could be the problem, im using 15/47 gearing since the clutch compensates. i was using 1st. nothing wrong with the motor, but that hill was way too steep to attack completely without a clutch to slip. the gearing only aggravated the problem.
machoman, your probably right. i might have miscounted shims. im gonna open er up, call rekluse, get a lever override and see what they think about all this. this should solve my problems.

• youngwerth

Posted July 20, 2004 - 05:54 AM

If you just ran out of RPMs (motor bogged out against the clutch) your gearing is just way too tall. 15/47 is pretty ridicuously tall for off-road riding. Idle in 1st gear is probably about 10-12MPH. Anything less than that is slipping the clutch, by definition. Unless you're on fairly open fast trails, this gearing is just too tall and you're going to get fairly short clutch plate life.

Check your installed gap, make sure it's within spec. Try Chevron DELO 400 for your oil, might help with the chatter a bit, don't install your clutch boss spring or the washer. The best fix I've heard of for the chatter problem on pre-04 bikes is an aftermarket basket (although I have no personal experience with this myself).

Our tool-free hotline is 1-866-REKLUSE.

• tool

Posted July 20, 2004 - 03:30 PM

Al, you do make some good points. i always wondered what the rekluse guys would say about my gearing. bottom line - i must have this gearing, no matter how much i wear the plates.
well, i completely removed the z start, made sure there was exactly 7 shims on each post. i removed all the plates, no glazing. there is only slight wear on 1 side of the topmost friction plate, so i just turned it over. the installed gap is still .96mm, so no real wear since i replaced the friction plates.
after i got it all back together, it still chattered like hell. i tried both springs, different tensions on both. nothing helps. i will definately try that chevron oil, anything to reduce the chatter.
im going to order the perch adjuster tomorrow. if im taking off, ill just slip it at the lever or pop the clutch. that should eliminate the chatter.
thanks for the help, al and all. :thumbsup:

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.