White Brothers E-Series vs E2

No replies to this topic
  • michaeln

Posted July 17, 2004 - 05:12 PM

I have been running a White Bros E-Series can and headers on my XR650L supermoto for about six months. I decided to try the new E2 can with my existing header, so I ordered one.

As I unbolted the two frame bolts on the E-Series can, it literally fell apart in my hands. The can fell off, leaving the S-bend pipe still stuck into the header. It had fractured the weld all the way around the pipe!

I put the E2 on. It's VERY different than the E-Series.

First, it's longer and sticks out the back farther. It mounts to the frame at the S-bend like the stock pipe and the E-series, but the upper rear mount is at the fender bolt, rather than the stock exhaust mounting bolt. It also does not use a gasket or a clamp between the header and the S-bend, WB says it is designed as a slip fit, and so far anyway, it works. No leaks at the junction.

The E2 is aluminum, nicely machined, and is a "square oval" cross section. That shape plus the length gives it more internal room for packing. The core is very large, as big as the S-bend all the way through. It comes with a 96db USFS approved spark arrester. They also supply what they call the
Competition insert, which is just a machined aluminum cap that fits in the end and preserves the full diameter of the core all the way out the back. One allen screw with a 4mm head is all it takes to switch between the two inserts.

It's *extremely* loud with the Competition insert. Too loud for me, and I kind of like loud thumpers. It also flows so freely with the Comp insert that I think it would have to be rejetted accordingly. I did not try rejetting it because it's simply too loud for me.

It's *very* quiet with the spark arrester in, and having tried it both ways, I prefer it quiet. It has excellent power even with the spark arrester in, so I'm going to leave it that way.

The E2 seems noticably lighter than the E-Series too. So far, I'm very pleased with the E2.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.