XR sprocket gearing HELP ! Please ... ?

3 replies to this topic
  • jazzeyb

Posted July 17, 2004 - 10:33 AM

I know.. ere we go again with another sprocket question... But this one is different...
Right now, my '99 650L is geared stock at 15/45.
The bike has been modified for street use only with all the standard mods, but 18"/21" RoadRunners (Avon tires) on the ground
I ride her hard... Either no throttle, or wide open throttle..
If I wanted to pick up just a bit off the front line, and not loose too much top end, (I have to change out both sprockets now, anyway..)
should I go:
14/45
14/48
or
15/48 ?
Or Different...
And of course, she's getting a new erv2 from DID...
ANY SUGGESTIONS ON GEARING????????
MANY MANY MANY THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JaZz

:thumbsup:

• don87xr600

Posted July 17, 2004 - 11:20 AM

14/45 and 15/48 are nearly the same, 14/48 is a huge change. As long as your buying two sprockets anyway I'd go 15/48, better torque over the rear wheel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • panzerpilot

Posted July 18, 2004 - 05:18 AM

I agree,stick with a 15T up front and anything from a 46 to 48 tooth in back,anything lower will affect your top speed.I run a 15/46 which gave me a bit more help on the bottom end and did not affect my wide open road speed at all.I have always heard that one tooth on the countershaft sprocket is equal to 3 teeth on the rear sprocket.Also,if you are going with new sprockets it is a good idea to match it with a new chain,preferably a rivet link type due to the 650's extreme torque.I run Ironman sprockets and DID X-ring chain in my 650L with no breakdowns or letdowns.

• Moredesert

Posted July 18, 2004 - 06:24 PM

14/45 and 15/48 are nearly the same, 14/48 is a huge change. As long as your buying two sprockets anyway I'd go 15/48, better torque over the rear wheel.

:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.