can an engine get damaged from running lean?

10 replies to this topic
  • Shane_Bettin

Posted July 17, 2004 - 10:32 AM

i know the carb is set up almost spot on and the engine runs great, but i have a very small exhaust leak where the header connects to the pipe. i think this leak is making the engine run lean, but will it cause engine damage as opposed if the carb was set up lean?? ive done a 100 different things to try and patch it up but some how it still finds a way to leak.

• Hamish

Posted July 17, 2004 - 11:36 AM

very unlikely. If you were lean on the MJ and did lot of WOT riding it would be a different story.

• rsstom

Posted July 17, 2004 - 01:39 PM

I agree...I don't think that's a problem to worry about.
But a very lean engine can be damaged. LEAN=HEAT Of course, heat is the enemy.

• Shane_Bettin

Posted July 17, 2004 - 07:47 PM

ok right on. ya i went one size bigger with my new pipe so thats alright. and the leak is barely noticable at all so i was hopen its nothin to worry about.

• Moto-XXX

Posted July 17, 2004 - 09:11 PM

On a thumper i don't see how anything can get hurt internaly since lubrication is not part of the intake, it would ping probably a little, but nothing serious should happen.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted July 17, 2004 - 10:05 PM

On a thumper i don't see how anything can get hurt internaly since lubrication is not part of the intake

lean MJ = hot piston = melt or nip :thumbsup:
It wont do any damage to the bottom end if thats what you are refering to

• R_Little

Posted July 18, 2004 - 03:20 PM

you're kinda right.
lean jetting will cause a motor to ping espcially in the winter.
you've gotta be very lean to melt the motor, it has happened though.

• TexasDirtNap

Posted July 18, 2004 - 05:27 PM

I assume that this is a four stroke runnin lean. If so, you'd normally get lots of decelleration popping. Sounds like your exhaust leak is changing that behaviour. If it were causing a lot of decel popping I expect you'd richen it up so why not richen it up anyway.

• nzer

Posted July 18, 2004 - 10:37 PM

has anyone found a decent way way of sealing up the pipe joint yet ive tried alsorts of sealers and they all seem to get blown out

• crf450f

Posted July 19, 2004 - 05:13 AM

Welding it back is the only way. The pressure, and the heat will blow all sealers off of pipe. Belive me, I tried.
You may want to replace it. I found a header pipe on E-bay for 25.00 to replace my cracked one. Good luck :thumbsup:

• Shane_Bettin

Posted July 19, 2004 - 02:24 PM

ya think stock is a 175.i think ive got a 180 or 82 in it. theres almost no popping at all on decel. but the plug is always white anyway.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.