98 YZ 400 hot start

3 replies to this topic
  • starttman

Posted August 13, 2002 - 04:55 PM

I have an old 98 YZ 400 with no hot start button.Is there a way to rig an aftermarket setup on my carb? I bought a Dr. D handlebar mounted hot start ...but all it does is extend the existing button.... What if you have no button?Can anyone help me?the carb i have has a spring loaded diaphragm that has 3 hoses connected to it, what is the purpose of that diaphragm?Does anyone out there have or have had this year YZ 400?

• YZ400Court

Posted August 13, 2002 - 07:04 PM

The 98 had the hot start port on the head. If you get a terrycable bar mounted hot start it should work. The only spring loaded diaphram I remember is the accelerator pump. Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ400Court

Posted August 14, 2002 - 04:17 PM

starttman wrote "where does the hot start attach toat the carb?where can i get the correct setup?

It does not attach to the carb on the 98, it attaches to a little nipple that is part of the head. It is drilled into the left side of the intake port on the head (small brass nipple). The terrycable valve mounts on the bars, and has a hose running down to the port on the head. I have it on my 98 and am very happy with it. You can get it at www.terrycable.com .The kit comes with a small plug for the tube that ran from the stock hot start valve to the airbox also.

• Desert_Racin'_Vet

Posted August 16, 2002 - 08:26 AM

Shoot me a PM. I have one for you.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.