7 replies to this topic
  • wrx_stud56

Posted July 17, 2004 - 07:11 AM

Hey guys, today i when i was riding, i noticed that the valvetrain on the 450 sounded a little loud, i mean you could hear it loud and clear ... i didnt notice it before until a friend of mine pointed it out ... are your bikes like this ? if not, then i guess i should check the valveclearances and all that stuff early .. ive only ridden the bike for about 30 hrs at the max so ..

• cbff33YZ426

Posted July 17, 2004 - 07:39 AM

You can get it checked out, but the big thing to remember is you can put 10 identical yamaha thumpers next to each other, and each one will have a different sound coming from the engine. It should only cost around 100 bucks to get your valves checked out. Less if you are lucky.

• ryno717

Posted July 17, 2004 - 10:06 AM

100$!!!! Save your money and check the valves yourself. I doubt you have problems with your valves, I'm on my 3rd yamaha four stroke, '00 wr 400, '02 yz250f, and now '04 yz450f and I have never had to adjust valves. If you are running a lighter oil you can get more engine noise than running a heavier oil. Summer time I run 20-40. Just a suggestion.

• DoctorRzed

Posted July 17, 2004 - 10:40 AM

All bikes make noise listen to another bike. I believe the clutch makes noise and the valves also do. I really wouldn't worry bout it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bushy

Posted July 17, 2004 - 10:42 AM

Mines also loud and clear, and it has a new cam chain and the valves were in spec, nothing looked wrong when we opened it up. Still runs like a raped ape.

• wrx_stud56

Posted July 17, 2004 - 01:16 PM

yah, i just dont wanna screw this bike up, and i agree, checkin it myself would be the way to go if i were to check it, im just makin sure this is how the bike runs ya know ..
thanks for all the advice

• ovrrdrive

Posted July 17, 2004 - 05:38 PM

Is the noise any different when sitting still with the bike in gear and clutch pulled as opposed to sitting still in neutral and clutch out?

I hear alot more noise in neutral on mine...

• del_scorcho

Posted July 17, 2004 - 07:34 PM

All bikes make noise listen to another bike. I believe the clutch makes noise and the valves also do. I really wouldn't worry bout it.

I agree. At first I thought that my valves needed to be adjusted. I later found out that other YZF's and even CRF's had the same valvetrain noise. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Regarding checking valve clearance, I need to learn to do that myself.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.