Stripped Oil Filter Bolt

7 replies to this topic
  • dirtbikindad426

Posted July 17, 2004 - 04:57 AM

Ok Yamaha boyz I gotz me a problem and question.

We were loading up tonight to go riding and I decided I was going to change my oil before we go. I was putting it back together and the lower allen bolt that holds the oil filter cover on stripped the case out.
My question is that bolt just screws into the case doesn't it?
So If I get a new side case I am good to go right? Take off the clutch cover and replace the side case or does that bolt go all the way into the engine cases?

Thanks in advance.
Dane

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 17, 2004 - 05:28 AM

Correct

You can save yourself time and money and have it drilled taped and Helicoiled

any machine shop can do this, you need to know the mm size of the heli-coil kit

I believe it will be 10mm I am not sure of the pitch of the threads, you can gee anew bolt form Yamaha and check it with a pitch gage at any hardware store

• gonzo

Posted July 17, 2004 - 05:34 AM

You can helicoil it yourself. It's easy. Just by the kit for like 35 bucks. I think you'll need 6X1 helicoils. I just did my cylinder head.

• MENDEN1

Posted July 23, 2004 - 08:34 PM

Helicoil is the way to go , i did it myself. Its relatively simple and afterwards you can tighten the heck out of the bolt and it wont strip out. Cheap to do too. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted July 24, 2004 - 01:10 AM

DBD, I stripped mine a year and half ago. What I did was use plumber's tape on the allen bolt and snug it down. I have had no leaks or problems with it.

When changing the oil (and cleaning the filter) I always remove the allen bolt first then the other two bolts on the filter. Then in reverse I install the other two bolts first and put the allen bolt in last. I put new plumber's tape (thread tape) on the allen bolt each time. The allen bolt will snug up and it is perfectly fine this way.

• TheEnvelope

Posted July 25, 2004 - 09:08 AM

Is helicoil the same as a "time-sert". I borrowed a timesert kit from a friend, fixed the problem for free.
I took off the side case, drilled out the stripped hole with the included bit, then used the included countersink bit, then retapped the hole, threaded in a new collar(also included in time-sert kit, and put the whole thing back together. I didn't use another allen bolt, just a bolt with the same 8 mm head as the other two. Worked great cost nothing, doesn't leak. Time sert.

• Hank

Posted July 28, 2004 - 07:33 AM

I had trouble with the same bolt on mine but backed off before I stripped it all the way out.... There is a small hole on the bottom side of the threads that allows you to bleed oil out from that compartment... If you can take your stripped screw to a nut and bolt shop... they can give you a threader (6mm) and maybe you can recover enough threads to make it hold a seal. Else a heli-coil kit might be needed, but may block the small hole I am talking about, proboly no big deal there but you just need to hold oil, if you can recover a few threads, get a new bolt so you dont ruin those threads, and use some thread lock so you dont have to snog it as hard, snug it enough to hold oil in... I picked me up a 6mm I forget the thread somthing like 1.5 mm from homedepot and smoothed those threads out, I would recomend that for anyone changing filters, so they dont run into this problem, once they feel like they dont want to thread in back it out and take a look... wooooooo saaaaaaaaa.... :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 28, 2004 - 07:45 AM

Is helicoil the same as a "time-sert". I borrowed a timesert kit from a friend, fixed the problem for free.
I took off the side case, drilled out the stripped hole with the included bit, then used the included countersink bit, then retapped the hole, threaded in a new collar(also included in time-sert kit, and put the whole thing back together. I didn't use another allen bolt, just a bolt with the same 8 mm head as the other two. Worked great cost nothing, doesn't leak. Time sert.

NO TimeCert is much better than Helicoil..........

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.