overheat signs xr 600

10 replies to this topic
  • vincent1

Posted July 16, 2004 - 11:02 AM

Hi guys, what are the signs of an overheated xr600 engine? I think it runs quite hot, but i don't know wether it's too hot? Thanks in advance...

• don87xr600

Posted July 16, 2004 - 01:00 PM

when mine gets too hot it won't shift.

• rg_series

Posted July 16, 2004 - 04:42 PM

Buy an oil temperature dipstick from xrs only or summers racing so you won't have to guess.

https://secure.srcin...679&StartRow=11

http://www.xrsonly.c...temp_guage.html

• JetPilot

Posted July 16, 2004 - 06:51 PM

The oil temperature dipstick is a great idea :devil: But for those of us that will be riding before we get one, I second the question, what are the signs of an overheating XR600R ???? :thumbsup:

• larry650

Posted July 17, 2004 - 01:11 PM

My 96 xr600 was pretty reliable foe sure. What you notice is a little preignition knock followed shortly a small pop noise which I would almost describe as eneventful except for the fact that the motor stalled with it and wouldn`t restart until it cooled down again. That starting drill stuff never worked for me. You know, pull the compression release in, give it a bunch of kicks with the throttle half open etc. Just let it cool down for ten minites and it starts up like nothing happened.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rsstom

Posted July 17, 2004 - 01:28 PM

Pull the dipstick and smell the oil. If it's been hot, it will smell burnt.
You could get an infrared thermometer. Most look kinda like a gun and projects a beam that reads surface temperature. It would take a few rides to get an average. Should be able to pick one up at any decent auto parts store.

• yooper_porkchop

Posted July 17, 2004 - 01:41 PM

go and buy a meat thermometer the type for checking the temp. of roasts etc. they come with a sleeve to slip them in with a clip so you can clip it to a shirt pocket or somewhere. The probe needes to be long enough to reach the oil in the frame, when in doubt pull the dip stick and insert the probe to get a quick check on the oil temp. If you look at some of the ones that the after market sells, thats basically all they are with just a plug with threads so you can see it all the time.

• MotoChris521

Posted July 17, 2004 - 03:48 PM

Or you can buy a small air conditioning thermometer (8-10 bucks)at a super market.Drill a small hole in your dipstick cap ,zip tie the probe to the stick,silicone the hole you drilled and waallllaaa.... a 10 dollar temp guage.The only problem is most a/c guages only go to 230 or so, and oil temp on a XR can run 300 plus.The guage will keep moving past 230 degrees so you have to calculate the reading,but you can defineately tell when your running HOT ! :thumbsup:

• michaeln

Posted July 17, 2004 - 05:15 PM

go and buy a meat thermometer the type for checking the temp. of roasts etc. they come with a sleeve to slip them in with a clip so you can clip it to a shirt pocket or somewhere. The probe needes to be long enough to reach the oil in the frame, when in doubt pull the dip stick and insert the probe to get a quick check on the oil temp. If you look at some of the ones that the after market sells, thats basically all they are with just a plug with threads so you can see it all the time.

And if you crash, the meat thermometer will impale you in the heart. The coroner will love it, he'll be able to instantly measure the temperature of the corpse and establish the time of death right away!

• Slim Shadetree

Posted June 30, 2006 - 06:10 PM

And if you crash, the meat thermometer will impale you in the heart. The coroner will love it, he'll be able to instantly measure the temperature of the corpse and establish the time of death right away!

LOL
my thoughts exactly

• Ferdinand

Posted June 30, 2006 - 10:37 PM

I found some thermometers on ebay I bought. I typed in pocket thermometer and found some cooking ones that go up to 550 which is more than enough. Got a few honda oil caps at motorcycle junk yard drilled hole in center and put thermometer through. total cost $7 (cap $1, thermo $6) :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.