xr 600 questions

4 replies to this topic
  • vincent1

Posted July 16, 2004 - 10:25 AM

Hi guys,
just bought an 85 model xr with a 92 eninge. The dealer who sold it to me didn't know anything about this bike, so here are some questions, you might be able to help me out:

-what type of oil goes into this engine: 10w40, 15w40 or else?
-what type of spark plug does it need?
-how much oil do i need to flush the old crap, install a new filter and fill her up again?
-How do you check the oil with the dipstick? (when hot, cold, directly after shutting down the enginge, or else?
-Is it normal that the whole engine becomes pretty hot; so hot that you cannot rest your hand on the clutch-cover without burning your hands? (still plenty of oil in it, good condition engine, drive with a temp. of approx. 20 degrees outside)

ok, thanks in advance, have fun, vincent

• XrCanuck

Posted July 16, 2004 - 01:59 PM

To check the oil start it let it idle for 2-3 minutes. Shut off engine let oil settle. Remove dipstick clean it and then put the dipstick onto top of the threads in the hole but don't screw it in. This is how you are supposed to check the level at least this is what the shop manual says.

The oil type depends on your riding temperature. 10W40 will give you a pretty good temperature range.

oil capacity is 2.1 quarts or 2.0 litres from oil drain
2.6 quarts or 2.5 litres from rebuild.

I didn't know that a newer engine would fit in an old frame. Does the bike have 1 or 2 carbs out of curiosity.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XrCanuck

Posted July 16, 2004 - 02:07 PM

The spark plug for 1983 on is
gap 0.8-0.9mm or 0.032-0.036in

• JetPilot

Posted July 16, 2004 - 06:54 PM

If you love your engine, and want it to last a long time, use synthetic oil !!!! :thumbsup: Mobil 1 red cap synthetic is a good oil and you can find it everywhere. :devil:

• vincent1

Posted July 16, 2004 - 08:58 PM

I didn't know that a newer engine would fit in an old frame. Does the bike have 1 or 2 carbs out of curiosity.

Yes, it does fit, i didn't do the conversion, so i can't tell all details, but it looks like it's allways been there, no dumb pieces of self made iron to suspend it or something. Its got a single keihin carb. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.