WR- YZF 450

63 replies to this topic
  • YZF250Forever

Posted August 16, 2002 - 01:33 PM

Ok first they don't just take away the 5th gear and leave the first 4. They spread out the power so that 1st gear will pull longer, second will pull longer and so on. So you won't think man I need that 5th gear. You can go just as fast with the 4 speed only with less shifting.

• Ben_Dere_Didat

Posted August 16, 2002 - 01:46 PM

It seems to me that the key issue is what are the gear ratios for first gear on the 450 and the 426. Does anyone actually have this information? I have no doubt that either bike is fast enough, what I want to know is if the 450 is slow enough?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted August 16, 2002 - 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Ben Dere Didat:
Does anyone actually have this information?

Yes.

• thump_me_drunk

Posted August 16, 2002 - 06:19 PM

The reason Yamaha made the 2003 YZ450F with a 4-speed tranny is because they believe it will give the gearing and engine a quick-revving 2 stroke feel. But it has been proved by the KTM 520SX that even with 520 cc's a 4 th gear transmision ratio is just not enough. It maybe on shorter tracks but when it is raced on big, wide open courses it runs out of gears, when the competition is up shifting to 5th, the KTM is flat. I currently own a 2000 YZ 125.
Email me at dirt_demon_14@hotmail.com and explain anything about my article u want 2.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.