WR- YZF 450

63 replies to this topic
  • Slymax

Posted August 12, 2002 - 05:21 PM

I can't wait to get my new 4 speed. Just think, when not on the track and in the woods, you'll be faster...because you won't be able to shift into first(low first) Who cares...go buy a Honda...not everyone needs the best!

• intothumpin

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:11 PM

for all of you that are in such a quandry over the YZ only having 4 gears, In another month or so I'll be able to solve your problem. Watch for the 5 speed retro kit available soon from BSR.

• Wyatt

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:16 PM

I don't know much about desert ridding, actually nothing at all. I ride almost exclusivly MX and grew up trail ridding in the national forests of East Texas. Do you guys really use the top speeds of these bikes during desert races? If you do, you have balls that clank. (4 or 5 speed) Other than getting out on the road, there are very few areas where I live that you can ride these bikes that fast. It sounds like fun, but also damn scary. I think falling on the loam of a MX track hurts. I can't imagine bitting a bunch of rocks at 80+ mph!!!!

• Hick

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Wyatt:
Do you guys really use the top speeds of these bikes during desert races?

I can't imagine bitting a bunch of rocks at 80+ mph!!!!

Yes I top out all the time. And I don’t even race what some would characterize as a “dez” race. More like a hare scrambles in the desert, average speed is usually below 30 mph, but there are plenty of fifth gear sections. I usually run 14/47 up to 15/47 gearing.

As for the relative peril I don’t have any moto experience, but I’m not sure if I’d trade my rock gardens for a 60 foot double. Okay, I might, but a mistake on an off road course is just like one on a motocross track I imagine. Sometimes it is painless, and sometimes it is a helicopter ride...

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 13, 2002 - 02:37 AM

Hick
Your so right al the time and everyone is soooo wrong, I am amazed truly amazed :)

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted August 13, 2002 - 02:52 AM

I bought a 2001 WR250F to ride in the woods with my 12 year old daughter. She's 13 now and I can't get her out of the mall long enough to ride. I've been going to the track all the time, dragging a heavy bike around and looking geeky with the lights (but I do have a kickstand).

Now I want a YZ450F. But I still go out in the woods. Connecting roads, strip mine beds, mine roads, open trails, there are some of all of those here. I want five gears. I'll take them closely spaced if I have to but I want all five.

The reason some manufacturers are going to four gears may not be technical or weight reasons. The feds (or even NGOs) may be pressuring them to differentiate the closed course bikes so they are not useful on mother Gaia's earth. Then the regs for offroad bikes can be tightened more effectively. Can you say fuel injection (so they don't drip over bumps) and catalytic converter?

mwc

• yzboy

Posted August 13, 2002 - 03:44 AM

Amador, That's cool, saying deal with or go get a Honda? You know i can see right through you! You probley dont even have a Yamaha. I know what it is! Your friends have dirt bikes so that makes you a rider. Like i said before i was just asking why the Yzf 450 dosnt have the 5th gear. I dont know what kind of ridding you do, but i race the AMA Hare and Hound and i have my 426 in 5th gear alot. Like i said before, Just becouse you might have a friend that has a bike it dosnt me your a rider. Amador learn a little more about the bikes before you talk your **** . :D :)

• Merfman

Posted August 13, 2002 - 03:46 AM

Originally posted by E.G.O.****:
Hick
Your so right al the time and everyone is soooo wrong, I am amazed truly amazed :)

JEZZUS! WHY is it SO HARD for you to understand that not EVERYONE rides like YOU and may have different requirements for a bike? I've stayed out of the 4 vs 5 debate 'cause I don't have enough information available to myself to have an opinion one way or another. Hint, YOU don't either. Gut feel tells me that I won't like a 4 speed in the woods. I'll wait until I ride one to voice an opinion.

I ride a YZ. I ride it in the woods. I ride it at the track. I've ridden WR's on the track. I don't like them. The gearing is all wrong. It's doable, just not optimal.

Merf

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 13, 2002 - 04:11 AM

Merfman

I'll wait until I ride one to voice an opinion.

BINGO LITE DAWNED ON MARBLE HEAD

Thats what this whole stupid ass argument is about.

Frankly I dont care, its the naysaers that have not even ridden one yet thats pissing and moaning

Forsited I guess knows all Sees all

[ August 13, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Merfman

Posted August 13, 2002 - 04:50 AM

Originally posted by E.G.O.****:
Merfman

BINGO LITE DAWNED ON MARBLE HEAD ]

You talk a lot of smack for a squid.

Merf

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted August 13, 2002 - 04:51 AM

I back it up though

• yznvegas

Posted August 13, 2002 - 05:07 AM

Guess what???? News flash!!!!!!

I don't need to ride the bike to know it only has 4-gears.

• yzrider

Posted August 13, 2002 - 05:27 AM

Shift into 4th twice.

Clue time:
Think aftermarket tranny. There will be choices.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 13, 2002 - 05:29 AM

So what every one of the naysayers that have been pissing and moaning about the 4 speed is the same. It aint worth crap, I dont like it, Its not gonna work, I hate yamaha, Im buying Honda

The Bottom line is ya spout about something ya know nothing about

***DIT DIT DIT*** NEWS FLASH******

NO ONE HAS RIDDEN IT OUT SIDE OF FERRY AND HE IS SMILING

So I have never driven the space shuttle that has one gear WFOI aint bitchine about that

• Amador

Posted August 13, 2002 - 05:46 AM

Originally posted by yzboy:
Amador, That's cool, saying deal with or go get a Honda? You know i can see right through you! You probley dont even have a Yamaha. I know what it is! Your friends have dirt bikes so that makes you a rider. Like i said before i was just asking why the Yzf 450 dosnt have the 5th gear. I dont know what kind of ridding you do, but i race the AMA Hare and Hound and i have my 426 in 5th gear alot. Like i said before, Just becouse you might have a friend that has a bike it dosnt me your a rider. Amador learn a little more about the bikes before you talk your **** . :D :)

yz"Boy",

Unlike you, I do not feel the need to brag about my credentials on a dirtbike. I think that it's probably like the guy who alway's talks about how big his unit is at a party(maybe that was you?).

To you and others(Hick)-

My point is this. I do not know if this bike will smoke or be smoked. Like EGO said, nobody does except Tim Ferry. All I'm saying is WAIT AND SEE. If the bike has no top speed, I will be right there bitchin' along with you, unless you still talking about how good you ride and how big your unit is. But, until then, I will keep an open mind. But then again, maybe your AMA card makes you god and you really do know everything.

Bye for now, I am going to go study so that someday, just maybe, I can be as smart as you

• Hick

Posted August 13, 2002 - 06:23 AM

Originally posted by Amador:
Bye for now, I am going to go study so that someday, just maybe, I can be as smart as you

Don’t hold your breath. :)

And I already told you what the top speed will be. That isn’t the only factor. I’m smart enough to change sprockets. Hey, I can even guess very accurately what a given sprocket combination will do for me. I’m a genius. :D

I am sure the YZ 450 will be great. I will probably buy one anyway, split the cases, and start ordering WR tranny parts immediately. This isn’t about whether “this bike will smoke or be smoked,” this is about off-roaders like me wanting a five speed. Why is that so damn hard for you and that illiterate moron EGO to understand? Unlike him you can, and do, at least read my posts (thanks BTW), so in your case I don’t understand why you can’t see my point.

Look, I don’t pretend to know what you need or want for your particular riding, so why do you insist on believing that I don’t need a five speed.

I do. End of story.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 13, 2002 - 06:30 AM

I see your point and its on your head :D

Ya get all upset with me becouse ya know ya cant beat me intlectually on an even scale.

So as I say
Your point is
Beside your head :)

• Hick

Posted August 13, 2002 - 06:36 AM

Jesus. Are you shooting for some kind of posting record? Quickest reply? Quickest to 1,000 posts?

Ego, it's a tap in. A gimme. Just pick it up. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 13, 2002 - 06:41 AM

News Flash Oh Bright One

so in your case I don’t understand why you can’t see my point

Could it be differing views, or maybe wiat and see or maybe he just dosnt see your point of view.

Lite Dawned on Marble Head DING

and also

Ego, it's a tap in. A gimme. Just pick it up

WHAT ? :)

• yznvegas

Posted August 13, 2002 - 06:50 AM

Ego, it's a tap in. A gimme. Just pick it up
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ego wrote: "WHAT ?"

Not a big golfer huh? :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.