Back Firing

5 replies to this topic
  • nmabbott

Posted August 12, 2002 - 04:05 AM

Just put my stock pipe back on yesterday '99 yz400(had a FMF Powercore IV on there before) and it's now back firing a fair amount. Any suggestions to relieve this problem?

• Dan316

Posted August 12, 2002 - 04:13 AM

Back-firing is usually due to a lean mixture. Did you change the jetting after the putting on the other pipe?

I rode a friend's 426 (un-modified and original exhaust system) yesterday, and I noticed that it made a bit of "snap-crackle-pop" on the over-run. Is it possible that you forgot that it did that?

• nmabbott

Posted August 12, 2002 - 04:25 AM

Left jetting the same, my guess is that it's a little more than snap crackle pop. Which way do I scew the jet to make it less lean?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan316

Posted August 12, 2002 - 05:02 AM

Could also be due to leaks in the intake or exhaust side.

Don't know about your bike, but usually, screwing clockwise blocks air and makes it richer. However this will affect the low throttle openings. Jetting affects the higher throttle openings.

I think you should try and find what is causing it rather than try to cover the symptom - it didn't do it before and you say you haven't changed anything, so you might have something which is not right.

• yznvegas

Posted August 12, 2002 - 05:03 AM

Maybe the stock pipe is less restictive than the FMF thereby creating a lean condition. Try turning the fuel screw out a 1/2 turn or so. (is there a fuel screw on a 400???)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 12, 2002 - 01:14 PM

Id bet the head pipe isnt seated. You really dont have to mess with the jetting going from the stock pipe to the FMF.
My other reason for thinking this was, the bike didnt do this prior messing with the pipe correct?
Id loosen the entire pipe front to back, and resnug the header as evenly as possible until its good and tight, then tighten up the rest of the pipe.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.