Tough crowd here.

17 replies to this topic
  • 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 11, 2002 - 12:19 PM

Im afraid to even post...........NOT!!!!!!
I just adjusted my rear sag ,by the book around
95mm .now it feels alittle stiff.is this something I should just get used to or what?
What measurements are you guys using and why?
I hope this hasnt been beat to death,I know how
you guys can get.
----------------------
01 426 wb r4 renthal bars dunlop756s

• yznvegas

Posted August 11, 2002 - 12:23 PM

If you are pre-loading the spring to achieve your desired sag than you quite possibly need a stiffer spring?

Anyone else???

• z4me

Posted August 11, 2002 - 01:12 PM

How much free sag do you have.

• Dan_from_HB

Posted August 11, 2002 - 02:01 PM

Check your free sag by setting the bike on its wheels (no stand). By hand, off the bike, bounce the rear suspension down, then up to the top, then let it sag under its own weight. Measure. This is free sag. If you have LESS than 20mm free sag, you probably need a STIFFER spring. If you have much more than that, you probably need a softer one. This is because the preload can be set up high enough to get proper race sag of 95-100mm on a spring that is a little too soft, but it would not give you the right rate. You would have to set the preload too high to get the right race sag of 95-100mm. This free sag test will tell you.
Dan

• 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 11, 2002 - 02:05 PM

I have about an inch to an inch and a half,with no weight on the bike.The sag was never set for my weight even after the suspension broke in, un-
fortunatly i got used to it that way.
----------------
01 426 wb r4 renthals ect...

• 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 11, 2002 - 02:32 PM

20mm is aprx. 3/4of an inch correct?If the race sag is set properly shouldnt that affect the free sag I had to turn the bottom ring about 6 full turns to get the right sag.Iwas told the bike was set up at the factory for a 200 pound rider IM 190 so it should have been close aaay?

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 11, 2002 - 04:09 PM

Spring rate is in my opinion based solely on the ridesr needed setup.

How much do you weigh?

I am 213lb and have the stock spring on my bike. I have sag set at 100mm and set the free sag to about 20mm.

I set the suspension accordingly as per the specs in the manual and adjusted compression, rebound & damping to what I like.

I think it is personal prefreance and style...

Here is a link to a real good article on rear setup
http://www.motocross...var=read&id=169

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• seymourbutts

Posted August 11, 2002 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the link EGO. Very Cool.

• 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:02 AM

alrighty then ,now IM an educated man thanks for the link and advise guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yznvegas

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:39 AM

Your welcome, see, were not such bad guys after all. :)

• kfrosty

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:49 AM

One thing I ran across this past week. My front end wasn't absorbing some of the smaller bumps like I thought it should. Called the suspension guy and he told me to check the static sag. If it wasn't at 30mm then to put it there. He said not be as concerned with race sag. I did as he suggested and man what a difference. I had mine way on the soft side. Most readings say for static sag it should be between 15-25 mm. Anything under 15 mm means to soft a spring I believe and anything over is too stiff. (Think that's right, I know it's backwards from the way you would think.) At 30 mm, it put my race sag at 92 and it's awesome.

• 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 12, 2002 - 12:43 PM

Frosty
my race sag is at 95mm which put my free sag at 22mm that should be close enough. I can do huge
400ft TRIPLES now right?????

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 12, 2002 - 01:09 PM

756 Yes you can now clear 400 foot jumps. With no hands I might add.

I had the same issue as yourself. Small stuff was killing me. Turned out to be two things wrong. My fork was binding just a tiny bit, and I had TOO MUCH SAG at 100mm. Since I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out, so I started from scratch, with Enzo's suggested settings, which seemed stiff on paper, but in reality, are quite plush. Now Im set at 95mm sag, with 5.6 rear spring, stock is 5.4, and my fork has a .47 from the stock .45 or .46 cant remember which. Breaking and accel. bumps are soaked up nicely, and it takes a really big hit to bottom harshly. Big like short on a 60-70 footer big hit. And I only weigh 180 lbs. My thoughts, you need a stiffer spring. But to each his own. Good luck

• kfrosty

Posted August 12, 2002 - 02:16 PM

400 ft??? Go for it but I would watch the crusty video for possible results. :)

I can do my 65 ft ones now and if I over jump it doesn't feel like my spine is compressing.

Like I said, most books say between 15 and 25 mm of static. The guy at Pro Action told me to go to 30 because the 4 stroke were heavier than 2 strokes. Mine was for some reason at 38.

Course, I'm definitely not the person to be taken suspension advice from. I'm an idiot when it comes to trying to dial a bike in. I just know now that mines as good as I've ever had it. (Well paid them to do the work and got the sag in check.)

I just know on the smaller, choppy type bumps I could feel them go through my arms unless I wheelied through them.

In the end you may want to test one day with different types of sag and see what works best. I just never seem to have that much time.

Good luck and be careful on the 400 ft'rs!

• TEAM_SCOTT/SHAWSON

Posted August 19, 2002 - 07:27 AM

I've personally seen 756ROOST-IT ride. and as a charter member of scott/shawson team, he's got to be the fastest guy in the straights :) ... I hear Alice in Chains.. "The Rooster" when he cracks the throttle and might I add, he has to have the loudest freakin exhaust on the planet. (think I lost my mid-range hearing yesterday... love those White Bros)

(he did the 40' double yesterday so he's got something right)

'ssap mench? "how much ya bench?"

• TEAM_SCOTT/SHAWSON

Posted August 19, 2002 - 07:41 AM

Shawse, turn on your private message thing so I can bust on you...

The man who put Scott in SCOTT/SHAWSON

• 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 19, 2002 - 04:03 PM

look i got rid of my xr Im hanging over here with my blue buddies go back to your honda side

------------------
01 yz426f wb r4 renthal bars dunlop756s

• TEAM_SCOTT/SHAWSON

Posted August 21, 2002 - 07:28 AM

Hey, lighten up Cap'n Caseout. (like I have anything to talk about)

later

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.