98' 400F Vs. 01' 426

5 replies to this topic
  • barry

Posted August 10, 2002 - 06:50 PM

I own a 1998 yz 400F the bike is amazing and has been very good to me. It is fast , powerful and very reliable. I love riding this big monster.
Im looking to sell it though and try some of the newer technology yamaha has come out with and i also have a line on a 01' so i would liek to know what are the big changes are in these 2 bikes as of weight , power , reliablility , control and suspension.
IS it a good idea to sell off my 98' and go for the 01'

any opinions and answers are appreciated. Thanks.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted August 10, 2002 - 07:51 PM

I would keep saving and buy a brand new one. I don't trust used bikes.

• CHris_PArks

Posted August 10, 2002 - 10:41 PM

i would say, yes. but like mxrider said new is better. the new 450 would b better.

parx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted August 11, 2002 - 01:50 PM

I havge an '01 426. I don't think that it and the 98 are really that different. Just slight changes to improve things that were problematic from the first and subsequent year bikes. The basic design has been the same since '98 and until '02.

If you want a bike that will be different, then wait and get the '03.

• MANIAC998

Posted August 11, 2002 - 02:10 PM

The biggest difference between the two, in my book, is no bog down low on the '01. The '98 would hiccup sometimes down low, the '01 doesn't. Maniac

• Hick

Posted August 11, 2002 - 03:30 PM

Originally posted by MANIAC998:
The biggest difference between the two, in my book, is no bog down low on the '01. The '98 would hiccup sometimes down low, the '01 doesn't. Maniac

Even then, if you have the patience to properly tune the carb you could easily make the 400 run just as clean.

My '01 didn't run so hot w/ stock jetting and accelerator pump, huge bog, so that will obviously vary depending on where you live and ride.

The only obvious improvements in the '01 IMO are the front brake, power (obviously) and that is about it. They did change the geometry and they handle a bit differently but I don't think it is a huge factor. I would say this decision depends largely on the individual bikes in question, what you can sell the 400 for, and what the '01 will cost you. For example, if they are both in identical condition and the "upgrade" would cost me, say, $1,000, I would just stick with the 400 and get the forks done or something.

My two cents.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.