Oil filter drain fix question

12 replies to this topic
  • Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted August 09, 2002 - 03:34 PM

I have heard of plugging the hole with a "timesert" or something. What exactly is a "timesert"? Did you have to drill the hole out, and tap it? If so, what sizes are the drill and tap?

• Greg_Hall

Posted August 09, 2002 - 04:15 PM

Here you go!

http://www.timesert.com

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted August 09, 2002 - 06:47 PM

So you stick that thing in there and then stick a screw in it? Why not just tap the hole and stick a screw in it?

• Hick

Posted August 11, 2002 - 03:44 PM

Originally posted by mxrider426:
So you stick that thing in there and then stick a screw in it? Why not just tap the hole and stick a screw in it?

I think he was just answering the "what's a timesert?" question.

I don't see any reason to use one for this job either. Do a search, but I do believe you need to enlarge the hole slightly to get the next sized metric tap in there. I think this is a good idea, but I just clean those threads out w/ every filter change and I've never had any issues with that particular bolt.

[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Hick ]

• DaveJ

Posted August 11, 2002 - 07:58 PM

mxrider426,

You can move up to a Suzuki plug which is 14mm x 1.5, if memory serve me correct.

However, you have to do this in a press or mill since a hand drill will move around due to the hole size and the fact that the hole is not consistent. This makes for a sloopy fit between case and plug. Won't work.

Take a close look at the hole and you'll know what I mean.

You're better off running the insert as mentioned or a Heli-coli of sorts. In either case, you're looking at about $50 to $100 for the kit.

And I think in this application it's best to run an epoxy on the insert as well.

It's not an easy job, so be patient.

DaveJ

• DaveJ

Posted August 11, 2002 - 07:59 PM

btw - if you pack the drill and tap with grease, it will keep most (not all) of the shavings from getting into the case.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted August 12, 2002 - 01:15 AM

Just a correction on price, I got a heli-coil kit from the local auto parts store to fix a screw with my chain buffer and it was less than $20 which included like 10 coils, the drill bit, a tap and a device to insert the coils with.

• DaveJ

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:43 AM

sirthump,

I agree, the smaller kits are a lot less expensive. I have many in use on this bike. But the 12mm and 14mm kits require more bank and are usually a special order.

I would have to assume with the amount of tooling that the insert kit listed above is well over $100.

DaveJ

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 12, 2002 - 12:37 PM

MXrider to answer your question: You can plug the drain hole with silicone.
You dont have to drill or tap anything. Most of the replies above are referencing fixing the stripped allen screw hole in the case. If that hole does get stripped, the time-sert is the way to go, unless you cant get'em, then the helicoil is the fix. Ty Davis made a kit to plug the oil drain hole with a small plug that screwed in but you really dont have to get that drasitic. All your trying to prevent is the small chips from getting into the threads of the allen screw hole, because the small chips, along with the oil in the threads, makes it extremely easy to strip that hole.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 12, 2002 - 12:43 PM

PS that timesert web site is pretty cool, except they dont have an advertised price on a single page. Odd I thought.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted August 12, 2002 - 08:18 PM

Thanks guys, but I tapped the hole and put a set screw on tere with red loctite. I kept the shavings from getting into the engine by screwing a set screw into the allen head bolt hole just past the drain hole, and spraying the shavings out with carb cleaner. Man, was I scared that the screw was going to go in to far and fall in!! I was careful! :)

• DaveJ

Posted August 13, 2002 - 08:14 AM

All right, I'm completely lost as to what you guys are talking about.

I thought he was trying to fix a striped drain plug!!

Obviously not, and perhaps I should have clued into this before I started typing (sorry about that).

Help?

DaveJ

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 13, 2002 - 12:36 PM

Davej: he was trying to figure out how to plug the oil drain passage that goes from the filter cavity to the allen screw hole. Ya know the one that strips out with almost 100% certainty, if you dont actively prevent it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.