How long before running semi-synthetic oil?

8 replies to this topic
  • Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 08, 2002 - 09:50 PM

Just wondering how long (miles or oil changes) you guys go before changing to semi-synthetic oil? I was thinking maybe 4-5 oil refills of full mineral oil before the semi-synthetic, would this be OK? Thanks, Chris.

• Fly-nBri

Posted August 09, 2002 - 02:35 AM

As long as it takes for the valves to seat properly. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 09, 2002 - 04:31 AM

Solets pose another question

What about Rebuilds if you have been running Synth Oil and now rebuilt the motor or did a valve job

Should you run a petrol or meineral based oil before synth.....?

• beezer

Posted August 09, 2002 - 05:56 AM

I use what ever is handy in the garage.

Ah ignorance is bliss!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yznvegas

Posted August 09, 2002 - 05:59 AM

Ego, when a motor is rebuilt it essentially needs to be broken in again. So, yes, you would have to use regular oil to start with.

I have been using motul semi-synthetic after the 3rd oil change and while I haven't had the bike long enough to see any long term damage, it seems to be doing just fine.

• MichaelRaasch260

Posted August 10, 2002 - 04:45 AM

I run Golden Spectro on the 3rd oil change. Never had a problem and I'v had a total of 6 new dirtbikes/sport bikes/atv's.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 10, 2002 - 05:41 AM

Thanks to all who replied, I think i'll go to synth' after 3rd or 4th oil change.

• Slymax

Posted August 10, 2002 - 06:28 AM

Running good old Yamalube 20W40 in all ourbikes for the last two years, no problems, no clutches, cheap enough to change regularly. I've also ran the motul semi syn and the belray semi syn in the past, also with no problems. It all seemsto get dirty just as fast and needs changing just as often, the yamalube is cheaper

• RCW

Posted August 11, 2002 - 12:10 PM

Each bike that you listed has slightly different oil specifications. This is usually bases on the type and size of your motor you are running. Temp also plays a part in the selection process. But without getting technical like the manufactures. Look, it come down to this, people are paying way to much for motor oil because it has the some name on it as your bike. As long as it meets the manufactures specification you'll be fine. You can buy oil that meets all the manufactures specifications for as little as 97 cents a QT. instead of paying 6 to 10 dollars a QT, buy the non motorcycle brand change the oil every two rides and you will way ahead of the game. You will save so money and your bike will never know what old oil is. The same goes for synthetic blends. For specific questions on a specific bike let me know, each bike is different. Example Honda CRF 450 vs. WR 426 due to the fact that handa has two different oil chambers.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.