Oil filter drain fix

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted August 08, 2002 - 08:28 PM

I have heard of plugging the hole in the oil filter drain plug to keep metal particles from ruining the threads, but isn't that hole there for a reason? Like to let oil in?

• NORCALRIDE

Posted August 08, 2002 - 08:58 PM

As far as I can tell it is only there so you can drain all of the oil from the filter if you take the lower bolt out first. Plugging it would just mean that when you take the cover off, the oil will dump out but your threads won't get crap on them and strip out over time. One of these days I think I am going to give it a try.

• grashoper250

Posted August 08, 2002 - 09:28 PM

I clean the threads with a Q-tip to get any crud out of the threads. It works good, you might want to try that if you decide not to plug the hole.

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 09, 2002 - 01:53 AM

And every time I remove that darn cover a pile of oil comes out, even after I left the lower bolt out for a few minutes. Personally I think that's a "Feature" they can do away with! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted August 09, 2002 - 01:57 AM

I do the Q-Tip trick too. You could probably just use a bit of RTV silicone(blue) to seal up the hole.

• DoctorRzed

Posted August 09, 2002 - 05:13 AM

I dont know about you but mine came plugged on my 2002?

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: pavelkod ]

• yznvegas

Posted August 09, 2002 - 06:02 AM

"I have heard of plugging the hole in the oil filter drain plug to keep metal particles from ruining the threads, but isn't that hole there for a reason? Like to let oil in?"

Actually, it's to let oil out. You don't fill up your crankcase through your oil drain plug do you? Same idea, it's just so you don't make a mess when you pull the oil filter cover off.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted August 09, 2002 - 08:04 AM

I think I will plug it. I have never seen oil drain out of there anyways.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.