bike will not back up in neutral ?!?

13 replies to this topic
  • strack

Posted August 08, 2002 - 09:19 PM

after a long practice on my 98yz400 i was about to load it on my trailer and it would not backup at all, I thought something was bent but after inspecting it nothing is apparently wrong it only does this in neutral, it will back up in gear with the clutch in but thats all, ive noticed no change while riding it, still shifts smooth, engages goood like it always has. I thought i would stop by here and ask you guys, youve helped me before and i hope you can do it again, thanks again.

98yz400

• SaNdSliNGer

Posted August 08, 2002 - 09:28 PM

Is there a sproket bolt hanging out by any chance that got loose, hitting the swingarm when it rotates, this happend to me once left a nice groove in the swingarm

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: SaNdSliNGer ]

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: SaNdSliNGer ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 08, 2002 - 12:01 PM

Check the chain guide. If the chain is bunching up into the guides (sprocket front and back, sliders etc.) it might hinder reverse motion. Other than that...... I cant imagine the problem being in the motor.

• SaNdSliNGer

Posted August 08, 2002 - 12:30 PM

What size of rear sporket do you have?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 08, 2002 - 01:13 PM

can you roll the rear tire backwards with it on the stand?

• strack

Posted August 08, 2002 - 02:26 PM

thanks for all the advise, im running a 51 tooth rear sproket, i checked my sprocket bolts and they are fine, I havent got it on a stand yet so maybe ill try that here in a bit. I was thinking maybe a shift fork got bent or something, but it still shifts smooth, so i don't know. thanks for all the advise though everything listed are things i havent checked yet.

98yz400

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 08, 2002 - 09:43 PM

Strack, could it possibly be the rear shock mudflap jamming in the knobs of the rear tyre? This has happened to me a few times over the years on different dirt bikes, it will only grab when you're wheeling the bike backwards.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted August 09, 2002 - 01:56 AM

Really strange problem.. The only additional thing I can think of is, is your chain and/or sprockets pretty worn? I've seen really worn chain/sprocket sets that will roll forward OK but when rolled backwards the chain binds up with the sprocket. Just a stab in the dark..

• Ken_Scherer

Posted August 09, 2002 - 03:10 AM

Take the chain off. Does the bike roll now? You should also be able to put you fingers on the countershaft sprocket and roll it easily forward and backwards if its in neutral.
Ken..

• BigLou

Posted August 09, 2002 - 03:48 AM

I bet it is the chain into the chain guide. I noticed on mine that for some reason the mudflap would get "turned inside out" everytime I rolled it backward, and I couldn't think of any reason why it would start doing that. Then it hit me. I remembered that I had geared down to a 51T rear sprocket. Even that small 2-tooth change gave me some problems getting the rear wheel on with the sprocket now tighter up into the chain guide. I also had to sort of "unkink" the chain and put tension on it to get it to align and flow into the guide. After that initial install, no problems except for the mudflap flipping out.

• BigLou

Posted August 09, 2002 - 03:50 AM

OK-Now that I think about it, that wouldn't be the culprit if it will back up in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Try this: In nuetral, pull the clutch in and see if it will roll back. That will tell you right there if it is inside the case/motor or not. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 09, 2002 - 04:37 AM

it will back up in gear with the clutch in but thats all, ive noticed no change while riding it,

If this is true then taking the chain off or spinning the back wheel on a stand is not the issue. It sounds more mechanicle with the clutch itself.

He states that it backs up with the clutch in and in gear. This means that something is not right in the gearbox or clutch basket. Take the case off and inspect that clutch real good. In fact take the clutch off complete and tray and roll the bike backwards.

Thats my $4,26 worth

• strack

Posted August 09, 2002 - 08:31 AM

thanks for the advise. the bike will not back up in neutral even with the clutch pulled in, it will only back up in gear, as far as the chain guide goes, unless something inside is binding it up its not the guide causing this, I just put new rk x-ring chanin and sunstar sprockets on about month ago and did not change sprocket sizes from what was on there before. I did change manufactures though but i hardly think that would be the problem. I agree with ego, as bad as i hate to i guess i'll have to tear into the cluch and see whats going on in there it is the original so maybe thats it. Thanks again

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted August 10, 2002 - 02:18 PM

i would guess the chain is too loose and jamming up in the guide

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.