99 400F carburation

2 replies to this topic
  • c-man

Posted August 08, 2002 - 05:53 AM

I know this may be a worn out topic for some long-standing TT members, but please lend me any knowledge you have. I have had my 99 400F for 2 years and I love it. Would never go back to a 2-stroke. My father liked mine so much that he went out and bought a 2001 holdover. I notice that my bike idles a lot rougher than his does, and even somewhat rougher than other 98 & 99's that I have seen. It is annoying to have to rev it occasionally at idle to keep it going, or adjust the idle screw up, and then have it race at idle after you run it hard and slow down. Any input you may have will be appreciated! Thanks boys. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MDK

Posted August 08, 2002 - 10:42 AM

Take a look at ...

http://www.motoworld..._kit_yz498.html

it comes with a 180 main jet, and I forget the other jetting sizes, but I really like what it did for my 99 yzf400. It got rid of that poping sound when deaccelerating, and starts with one kick every time (almost :-))

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: MDK ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 08, 2002 - 01:52 PM

C-man, you have an intake leak. Or your jetting is way off on the pilot circuit or maybe you need to clean the carb or maybe........this could go on for hours.

Clean the carb. first then reset the pilot screw at 1 1/2 turns out and start from there. And make sure you dont have an intake leak somewhere between the carb and the cylinder head.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.