Anyone spit a key on an 03 after mods?

19 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted July 14, 2004 - 06:49 AM

I pushed my 03 up a huge hill when it spit a key. I put 04 parts in it and was wondering if anyone did this and still spit the key.

Pushing sucks and I don't want to do it again. I'll sell the thing.

• RoosterJ

Posted July 14, 2004 - 07:00 AM

Selling this bike would be a grate idea but how could you sleep at night? Yes pushing is no fun, my 03 reminds me of my old amf sportster. Did you loctite the rotor to crank? did this bike shear a key before?

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 14, 2004 - 09:11 AM

I would not worry about pushing big blue. My war pig has never broken down or needed a tow! Keep the bike and let your confidence build back up! :thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted July 14, 2004 - 09:28 AM

I sheared 1 key. I lapped the crank and used the Loctite glue and put in the 04 parts.

I just don't feel like pushing the thing again.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted July 14, 2004 - 09:46 AM

I sheared 1 key. I lapped the crank and used the Loctite glue and put in the 04 parts.

You're good to go. I have done the same thing with my 03.

20 hard/race hours later. She still starts up just fine.

• Vick115

Posted July 14, 2004 - 11:02 AM

i just had the recall done on my '03 and its going good for a year now, no problems.

• RoosterJ

Posted July 14, 2004 - 12:37 PM

Well just like they told me this is a old subject being rehashed. But unless it happend to your bike you dont know how it is. I am thinking about a cure for the rotor key blues. Ive got the rotor bolt problem solved. (loctite may not always work) :thumbsup:

• geo199

Posted July 14, 2004 - 02:25 PM

pushing sucks and I don't want to do it again. I'll sell the thing.

whoa beez, did i hear you say that you would sell the almighty yamaha? wow....goin orange? :thumbsup:

• rekless

Posted July 14, 2004 - 06:06 PM

I had the same thoughts last week when I opened my rotor cover up and found that the starter had broken the cover. BUM SICLES!! I just pulled ALL the starter stuff off. I seem to have the jetting fairly close, so I hardly ever have to kick more than once. My confidence is slowly coming back. rekless :thumbsup:

• RoosterJ

Posted July 15, 2004 - 04:37 AM

Yeah Yamaha motor corp. yall got a problem. beezer you did open this thing up and make sure it was the key that sheared right? I am wondering how many more of these bikes have this problem, and is it worthy of building the tool that will fix it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • willy_fitz

Posted July 15, 2004 - 08:56 AM

I have not had any problems after having the 04 mods done. We get pretty far from civilization when riding up here in the great white north :thumbsup: and when we are in the woods we are not necessarily at the top of the food chain. If I thought this was going to happen again this bike would already be gone.

Willy Fitz

• RoosterJ

Posted July 15, 2004 - 05:50 PM

You might consider taking a extra candy bar and bootle of water, also gun and cell phone. Better safe than soory, just look around on tt some of these guys are not so happy 04 mods are not . I really like my wr 450, its fast and all that, but it has a nother side too. ( the sick pup side) Though they dont all have it, maybe more do than dont. I dont know the actual prod. numbers/to sick ones, but its been more than just a couple of sick ones. :thumbsup:

• willy_fitz

Posted July 17, 2004 - 02:49 PM

I already always ride with a camelback and if I know I'll be out for a while I'll pack some food. As far as the gun is concerned I don't like the idea since I would probably have the stupid thing go off in my bum bag and shoot myself in the ass. Shooting a bear with some saturday night special is only going to piss the bear off anyway.

• timvv51

Posted July 17, 2004 - 05:41 PM

I am too cheap to spend the money on the mods and the bike kicks too easy anyway. I just pulled the gear and battery after doing the super glue bit and am halfway thru the second great season and love the bike. But me and PDBLUE are gonna buy the SECOND year run of the CRF450X. Tim

• RoosterJ

Posted July 18, 2004 - 02:01 AM

you did a smart thing :thumbsup:

• ovrrdrive

Posted July 18, 2004 - 04:08 AM

#1 - There isn't a gun made that won't allow the owner to remove the bullets when there may be a chance of an accidental discharge.

#2 - Even though the chance of killing a bear with a .38 or .357 or even a .44 is slim, personally I'd still feel better about having that option available to me. You never know, if nothing else you could shoot him in the eyes and even if you didn't kill him he wouldn't be able to see you anymore. Point being at least you wouldn't have to just run and be taken without any other options.

All that said, I would worry more about the laws I'd be breaking carrying in a backpack like that. A concealed carry permit would take care of the feds, but the game wardens kind of frown upon carrying guns into managed areas out of hunting season and without the proper licenses and permits. They can and will take you to jail and confiscate your bikes and gear. At least that's how it is over here anyhow.

Perhaps pepper spray would be a better non-lethal and legal solution for those that ride in areas like that...

• RoosterJ

Posted July 18, 2004 - 05:06 AM

Perhaps your right!! Maybe you got to gators and snakes under control down where your at, Be my luck riding way out in the great white north my bike would break, i would see a bear and have to walk out with no water.

• Squidward

Posted July 18, 2004 - 07:19 AM

Selling this bike would be a grate idea but how could you sleep at night? Yes pushing is no fun, my 03 reminds me of my old amf sportster. Did you loctite the rotor to crank? did this bike shear a key before?

That's easy... 6 shots of Bicardi and a Vicodin. :thumbsup:

Buyer beware. What do you think Yammy did to him? Sold him a bunk bike... Gotta pass the buck on to someone else.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 18, 2004 - 07:41 AM

I am too cheap to spend the money on the mods and the bike kicks too easy anyway. I just pulled the gear and battery after doing the super glue bit and am halfway thru the second great season and love the bike. But me and PDBLUE are gonna buy the SECOND year run of the CRF450X. Tim

Not me. I'm not all that impressed with the CRF250X so unless the mysterious and ever elusive CRF450X is a major departure I'm staying blue. What's all this talk about legendary Honda reliability? Valve problems, excessive oil consumption, air box leaks, etc. Yamaha definitely screwed up on the '03 but other than that in my experience the 4xx's have been rock solid. Heck the '04 WR upgrade doesn't cost any more than putting Kibblewhite valves in the CRF!

• timvv51

Posted July 18, 2004 - 12:49 PM

Actually the only way I would buy the elusive CRF450x is if there were a significant weight difference and Honda cleaned up the top end problems. On the other hand I dont mind carrying around a little extra weight if I have a significant increase in reliability. It appears the 03 woodruf key issue is a non issue on the 04s. Just kidding when I included you in my speculations on which bike to try next PD. Heck, orange isnt so bad when you get used to looking at it. And have you seen the size of the spokes on those pumpkins. I am too old to be pushin a bike out of the boonies and the apparent lets try it and see if it work attitude of the manufacturers bothers me. Reminds me of Cheverolet. Tim

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.