'00 YZ426 Boil over!?

4 replies to this topic
  • rws

Posted July 14, 2004 - 06:40 AM

After I finished a ride yesterday I was "putting" back to the trailer. Took about 10 minutes or more [riding along with my daughter on her PW80]. When I finally shut the bike down I was presented with a steaming run-out of coolant. It lasted only a few seconds then all seemed well.

Any ideas? Is this normal? [doubt it] Is there something I should be worried about? :thumbsup:

• jmw00

Posted July 14, 2004 - 06:44 AM

Just to let you know more than likely this is normal with all other factors being ok... This happened to me once when riding with my son.... The culprit i am sure for me is that when riding (putting) along with my son there is not enough air flowing into the radiator causing it to overheat... Almost like if you were setting still letting the engine idle

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R_Little

Posted July 14, 2004 - 07:14 AM

If you are going to ride with PW80's get a coolant recovery bottle that comes on the WR's to catch and replae the coolant. Also, you can use a 1.8 rad cap off a KX500 to keep the coolant in the radiator longer.

Sometimes, the stock rad cap looses it's seal and spring presure and a new stock cap can help as well.

• rws

Posted July 14, 2004 - 07:44 AM

Whew! That's what I was hoping [normal due to overheat and slow motion]. I'll look into some cooling options as suggested. One of the main reasons I switched from my CR125 to a 4-stroke was to be able to "putt" along with my kids... but also be able to kick it up when I'm not riding with them... so far... things are looking promising!

Thanks for the quick inputs! :thumbsup:

• jmw00

Posted July 14, 2004 - 07:58 AM

Just to let you know hat problem won't last long she'll get faster!! :thumbsup: mine did haven't boiled over since...

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.