Valve cover removal - 1994 XR650L

3 replies to this topic
  • MitchG

Posted July 14, 2004 - 04:52 AM

It appears that I may have a valve cover gasket failure and resultant oil leak in the front portion of the valve cover. Does a guy have to pull the engine to remove the valve cover or can this be done while the engine remains in the frame? <font color="black">

• gotdurt

Posted July 14, 2004 - 04:59 AM

Clymer says pull the motor, Honda says you can do it with the motor in the frame. I don't have the manual in front of me, but I do recall that the Honda manual says you can slide the cover to one side, then you'll have enough space to lift it off (after removing the upper mounting brackets and other obstructions).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tntmo

Posted July 14, 2004 - 11:15 AM

I've never had much luck removing the valve cover with the engine in the frame. Last time I tried, and had to remove every engine mounting bolt and lean the engine a bit to the side....just as easy to pull the motor!

• ShaiDanny

Posted August 07, 2004 - 08:19 PM

No, you don't have to pull the motor out.
1) Remove the left & right engine mounting brackets that attach the valve cover to the frame.
2) Remove the oil breather hose from the valve cover.
3) Loosen all valve cover bolts and take out the ones you can. You'll probably have two that are hard to remove around the center of the valve cover. Lift the cover and play with it a bit until you can pull the last bolts out.
4) Remove the carb and the rubber intake manifold (3 screws).
5) lift the valve cover and pull it backward toward the intake side and you'll be able to take it out.

The whole thing requires a bit of play, but the secret is removing the intake manifold.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.