ENDURANCE, I NEED YOUR HELP !!!!

5 replies to this topic
  • GNCCYZ400

Posted June 06, 2001 - 06:34 PM

OK, HERE'S THE DEAL. With the addition of my 250F I have become fast enough to run with the fast guys. My only problem is endurance. By the 3rd or 4th lap (45-70 minutes) I'm pooped and have to slow to about 65-70%. After about 20-30 minutes I get my second wind and finish at about 90%. I feel that if I can stay at around 90-95% for the 2+ hrs, I can walk away with a win at every race.

I have not been taking care of myself, and have been relying only on my riding ability. Now it's time for a change, I'm ready to WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Any work-out, diet tips or any thing else that would give me more endurance would be very helpful, and greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Jeff

------------------
'98 YZ400F
'01 YZ250F
'98 CBR600F3
VCHSS
NCHSA
GNCC
DIST. 7,29 (mx)
4 STROKE B

• BULLDOG

Posted June 06, 2001 - 08:21 PM

I am by no means a picture of health. But I have noticed that since I started a regimented work out program (every other day) my endurance and abilities have improved. I have increased my upperbody strength by 50 lbs since may 1. I would say running would be a great help as well to improve cardiovascular. Start small but start somewhere. You won't notice any difference unless you try SOMETHING!

------------------
It's your world, I just play in it!

'00WR, WB E-Series S-Bend w/7 discs, Stock header, GUTS high seat, Thumper Bar Risers, throttle stop trimmed, airbox cover removed. Stock jetting. 4500ft.

• PMAUST

Posted June 06, 2001 - 08:54 PM

I too am trying to get into better condition. I have a double whammy to contend with. Not only did I go 7 or 8 years without riding but, allowed myself to get fat and out of shape. I'm no fitness expert either but I think Bulldog is correct work on your cardio and do some strength training. Also, I have discovered that when I have breakfast before riding early regardless if its a race or just hard play riding that it really matters what I eat. Each person is different but for me eggs and bacon/ham/and the usual stuff do little to help me through. Usually, after an hour or so I feel almost weak from hunger or, like that food really didn't give me what I needed. For me, I am almost better off eating a good hearty bowl of soup and sandwich or something like that. That seems to sustain me much better. Everyone is different so experiment with your pre-riding diet to see what works. Also, hydration is extremely important. Drink lots of water before, during, and after riding. Avoid beer or other types of alchol for a couple of nights before riding. I know it is popular to drink but you are an athelete. You are placing much greater demands on your body so you need to take more care of it. I know because I love to drink, smoke, and eat junk food. But, I love riding my WR to its and my fullest potential more. This year I will be racing super senior C class. My goal is to kick all their asses and take a few B riders out with em! :) Training begins now! Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mitch_from_Oz

Posted June 06, 2001 - 09:44 PM

Funny, isn't it....

Like many of us, I like to indulge in food and drink and other things.. I have been told by some that I am one of those naturally talented riders. If I applied myself and trained that I could be......

Anyway, enough of that. What I am getting to is this. Train, ride, change your diet and be sure that you still have fun.

Lately, I have found that these are the things that actually help me. Pushups and grip ball. This is where we all suffer. the dreaded arm pump. Do as many pushups as you can every other morning, but dont go overboard with the numbers. When you find you can do many, try doing less but much slower. Meals before riding. Something high in carbs.. Pancakes, seriously. No coffee, plenty of juice and plenty of water. I find mixing 50% water and 50% juice helps with the hydration and the vitamins.
The night before, drink about 2 litres of water, force it down!

A few weeks back we rode on Sat and Sun. Sunday I suffered arm pump. All night I felt heat flowing in my forearms... weird. BUT, the next day, I suffered no arm pump at all.... Prior to riding, make sure you stretch those forearm muscles. Fulling your fingers back as far as possible till you feel the stretch and hold it for 15 seconds. The push down on your wrist (as though you are trying to force your hand to fold on your wrist) and hold for 15 seconds. Repeat this cycle on both arms and then repeat for 10 seconds and then for 5.

Anyway, good luck
Mitch

PS. Sex before physical excertion for men is actually bad... Proven scientific fact.

• Bill

Posted June 07, 2001 - 02:28 AM

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff :)

Drop me an email at work and I'll give you all the details you'll need. It is far to much information, to be given here.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, MX-Tech suspension, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 07, 2001 - 03:38 AM

I am also not someone to talk about great physical shape, but I am trying. I swim 2 days a week and lift 3. If you want to work your forearms try this. Get a piece of PVC pipe or a branch about 2 - 3 inches in diameter and 1.5 feet long. Drill a hole through the center and attach rope long enough to reach the floor when you are standing on a chair with your arms extended. Attach a five pound wieght to the free end. While standing on the chair with your arms extended roll the PVC or branch up and down slowly. After a couple times you will want to cry. This helps me w/ arm pump considerably.

Nick

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.