Oil pressure sensor!

8 replies to this topic
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted August 06, 2002 - 12:04 PM

after reading numerous posts on oil pump failures, i became worried.
However, WORRY NO MORE!
I am currently working on a simple and compact oil pressure sensor and low pressure warning light that will flash. I have a few ideas and when i decide on one, i will post an update with instructions and pictures. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I am going to use a sensor from a Kohler 24 horse v-twin engine and power it with either a lighting coil or a simple 9 volt battery, after i get specs on the switch.
-alex

• bassr_#186

Posted August 06, 2002 - 12:08 PM

Sounds like a great idea. Please keep us posted

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 06, 2002 - 12:34 PM

What would be the way to go is to have an idicater that the trip went off and have the warning light just kill the engine if the oil pressure gets too low. That way when your our in the middle of no where youll have an idea of why the bike died, and an overide to get it back to the truck, albiet slowly, but back.

• moto2000

Posted August 06, 2002 - 12:52 PM

How 'bout a warning horn instead of a light. Used in boats-small, light, can attach it any where easily, and is loud as heck. I don't know if I would notice a light when I'm riding, but you would hear that alarm go off if you mounted it behind the number plate or on the bar clamp. Also where would you mount the sender and at what psi would it go off?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moto2000

Posted August 06, 2002 - 12:55 PM

How 'bout a warning horn instead of a light. Used in boats-small, light, can attach it any where easily, and is loud as heck. I don't know if I would notice a light when I'm riding, but you would hear that alarm go off if you mounted it behind the number plate or on the bar clamp. Also where would you mount the sender and at what psi would it go off?

• therapture

Posted August 06, 2002 - 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:
What would be the way to go is to have an idicater that the trip went off and have the warning light just kill the engine if the oil pressure gets too low. That way when your our in the middle of no where youll have an idea of why the bike died, and an overide to get it back to the truck, albiet slowly, but back.

Ummm, I don't know about you, but I would sure hate to have it shut the engine down on the approach to a 4th gear, 110 ft stepdown....that's just a bad idea! :) Anything that autmatically turns the engine off (and has the potential to do it even when nothing is wrong) is a BadThing© in motocross riding :D

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 06, 2002 - 01:31 PM

Therap, good point. A siezed crank will do the same thing though.

Seems like a 110 foot step UP would be worse, NO?

• Wyatt

Posted August 06, 2002 - 02:37 PM

I think a siezing motor would be less abrupt than a total loss of spark. They usually tend to stick and drag a little before they become one. (usually) The sensor is not a bad idea.....but, I wouldn't want it to stop my motor either.

• thumper4life

Posted August 06, 2002 - 02:58 PM

if it was a step down, you get to keep rolling with flailing limbs, if its a step up then you get to smack right into the face...to me they're both bad

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.