Spark Arrestor adjustments?

4 replies to this topic
  • XR650Man

Posted July 13, 2004 - 06:07 AM

I notice that when I put my spark arrestor on I start getting this popping backiring noise when I let off the throttle. IS this normal? Am I supposed to change my jetting or change the richness of my fuel screw??

Also when letting off the throttle the rev's stay high sometimes and sometimes they come back down to normal. Have had overheating issues once because of this. Anyone know why the engine doesn't drop back down to idling RPM??

• dale

Posted July 13, 2004 - 06:11 AM

Not sure what you mean by putting your SA back on, but all the other conditions are usually from being too lean. If you had open exhuast before then it should get richer adding a SA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650Man

Posted July 13, 2004 - 06:30 AM

So you think the high revving is caused by it being lean also huh?

I have a FMF Ti-4 and I bought the FMF spark arrestor. It was open before so that's kind of what I thought that since the air flow would be restricted then the fuel would be richer. So then it's the opposite of being lean. Hmmm...
Little confused on this one...

It also died a few times when I rolled up to a stop sign. I think that might be because I have the idle to low.

So basically I need to fudge around with the fuel screw and the idle till I can find a happy medium huh?

• Kritter

Posted July 13, 2004 - 07:34 AM

hold your throttle open at about 1/8 turn...1500 or so RPMS and if it is popping it is lean. Adjust your fuel screw or drop down a position on your needle if the airscrew doesnt help you.

• XR650Man

Posted July 13, 2004 - 09:35 AM

O.K. I've worked on the carb a bit so far. I've replaced the pilot jet and cleaned out the float bowl and the main jet. I'm not familiar with the needle though. :thumbsup: How do you adjust that?

btw thanks for the info so far

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.