Make my YZ street legal, or just get a WR?

6 replies to this topic
  • Pothole

Posted July 13, 2004 - 05:35 AM

For you guys that have street legalized your YZ's...I'm trying to determine whether or not it's better to go to the expense of making my '99 400 street legal (stator, lighting kit, etc), or just sell it and get a WR? Any suggestions? I do mostly enduro riding, and don't anticipate racing mx.

• mxcowboy

Posted July 13, 2004 - 05:39 AM

I would go with a WR because of the wide ratio gears and parts are alot cheaper than the YZ since you already have the stator on the WR. Just my .02

• Vick115

Posted July 13, 2004 - 06:29 AM

i like my Wr for the 5 speed tranny, i have her geared up and she cruises easily at 60mph with a top speed over 100.
Lots of fun. I do get pulled over by the police quite often though so make sure you have all your paperwork 100% correct.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simon@vic

Posted July 13, 2004 - 10:01 AM

it is alot cheaper to do a wr. and the tranny is alot better for anything but MX.

• big_G

Posted August 04, 2004 - 06:10 PM

well no argument on a WR here :devil::usa::D

but that YZ would work if you wanted to put the effort in... seems like you already know the stator is wrong and thats easily fixed... its the side case spacer that turns me off the most, i guess just didnt want that... plus you get a head and tail light stock and aside from the gearing differences, if you're not gonna banzai the freeways, all that just might not matter to ya...

depends on what ya want to do with it all i suppose... me i have a soft spot for WR's and i think thats all i'll ever ride until i die :thumbsup: :awww: :lol:

• lt426

Posted August 13, 2004 - 07:14 PM

Just made the mod's on my wr426. It's almost legal. Can anyone suggest street only tire for this beast.

• ETP

Posted August 14, 2004 - 04:08 AM

I had a 99 YZ that was dual sported and upgraded to a WR450 mainly because of the gearing (and the magic button of course). The wide ratio WR gearing is more suitable to my riding style and distributes the available power more evenly while cruisin the roads and trails.
:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.