Power / handling on '04 450?

2 replies to this topic
  • DethWshBkr

Posted July 12, 2004 - 05:01 PM

How does you guys's power work on your '04 450's?
Linear? Torquey?

I'm in the market for a new bike - and although I'm seriously slanted on the KTM 525 or 450SX - the Yamaha/KTM dealer here has an '04 YZF450 for $4950, brand new - while the KTM is still $6500.

I've had issues with my dad's '00 426 with the handling, and power delivery.
It feels heavier and more sluggish than the KTM, and the power is not strong at all until you get it up about 1/2 way in the RPM's, then it's very respectable. My dad loves the torque in my bike too, which is probably the only thing he'd like changed about his bike.

In what ways has the 2000 YZF426 evolved into the '04 450?
INtimate details and anything from the real world is helpful. Good, bad, just "is" and ANYTHING you guys can give me about the YZF450.

Please, anyone who can compare, let me know!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racerxj17

Posted July 12, 2004 - 05:07 PM

buy the bike. ride it. love it. there not even comparable to an 01 426. its much lighter, 20lbs is alot for a bike. also the power is insane compared to the 426. (i only rode a 426 a few times, but i wasnt really impressed compared to my 450) the handling is much improved b/c of the weight difference too. suspension is also top notch. go for the 450.....you wont be dissapointed.

• crf450f

Posted July 23, 2004 - 06:51 AM

I bought my 04 450 4 months ago, and I was glad I did.
I had a heavy 01 426, and I was glad to covert. More power, lighter, front feels light, and suspention is killer!!!

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.