Older motard

2 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted July 12, 2004 - 02:48 PM

I've got an oppertunity here for a low cost motard and am wondering if anyone can help with some advice. A buddie of mine has an '86 XL600 for $500. I used to have the same bike back in the day and loved the pull on that baby. It runs but needs work. I want to completely restore it, add an aftermarket pipe, rejet, etc. and put 17 inch rims front and back with slicks. This bike would be purely for fun, no racing. Would I have to lace up my own front wheel or is there one available for an '86. I also believe it's got an 18" rear as stock. So maybe an 18" front then, huh? (18" tires ?) What would I do about the disc brakes too? Thanks for any input. Goosedog

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Buckarmadillo

Posted July 12, 2004 - 06:33 PM

Your best bet might just be to go look at eBay or a bike wrecking yard and get the front end off a later XR650L. Or....go buy another front wheel and have a 17" rim laced to it. Ditto on the rear. You want to stay with 17" rubber since most of the good tires are in that size.

• steve_f

Posted July 13, 2004 - 04:48 AM

One option is to contact East Coast Wheels. They will set you up with 17" rims, spokes and how-to information for relacing you own wheels.

http://store.eastcoastwheels.com/

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.