Are MX bikes too expensive?

42 replies to this topic
  • Hick

Posted August 05, 2002 - 02:21 PM

Good Lord, first the CPI, now some nice exchange rate analysis for TTalk denizens...

The Yen is about twice as expensive now as it was in 1980, with most of that change happening between 85 and 88.

So, in dollars, an '02 would be twice as expensive as an 80 model if the Yen price were the same...

I think this will be my 692nd post, so it took 691 to get to this point...

• Ben_Dere_Didat

Posted August 05, 2002 - 02:21 PM

Acutally, a company as global as Yamaha isn't as affected by currency exchanges these days. Currency exchanges are never felt one to one in terms of retail pricing for the same reason you closed your message with--supply and demand. In the late seventies, the yen was around a hundred per US dollar. Today it's around 120. In the eighties, it soared to as high as 65 yen to the dollar, and in the nineties to as low as 160 to the dollar, but the prices of Japanese products didn't double, because they can't--we wouldn't pay it.

Sorry if this thread I started is beginning to sound like an econ class, but it's helping me to feel a lot better about the fifty-five hundred I'm about to shell out for a YZ426...

• Hick

Posted August 05, 2002 - 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Ben Dere Didat:
In the late seventies, the yen was around a hundred per US dollar. Today it's around 120. In the eighties, it soared to as high as 65 yen to the dollar, and in the nineties to as low as 160 to the dollar...

STOP THAT!!

Actually, the numbers I have show...

(Yen to buy a dollar)
From 75 to 80 it only went below 200 once, in late 78, down to around 190.
In the 80s in never got below 100.
The lowest in the 90s I see (monthly averages) is 87 in 07/95.

Maybe I got bad info (Click Here).

But I agree that exchange rates can’t really be said to effect retail pricing for a global company/product, there are many ways to hedge this (if I could remember my b-school education I’d tell ya what they are) and too many other factors come into play.

But in the shorter term I do think that exchange rates affect prices in general. Isn’t that why all those guys on the Honda side are buying $5,800 CRFs from dealers in Canada??

• Hick

Posted August 05, 2002 - 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Hick:
But in the shorter term I do think that exchange rates affect prices in general. Isn’t that why all those guys on the Honda side are buying $5,800 CRFs from dealers in Canada??

OTOH that is a case where the purchase is made in a different currency than the price...

Somebody stop me before I dust off my Finance books. Or something.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted August 05, 2002 - 02:54 PM

EGO,

In the late 70's Mercedes got several studies back that it could increase the value perception of its cars by charging more for them. Most sold in this country were at that time made in Venezuela. The doubled the price of the new models against very modest increases in cost or performance. The result, coupled with really ****ty cars in the US (remember the late 70's cars?) was that the perception of their value went up dramatically just because the consumer price went up. It wasn't just the snob factor, people who had been snobbish with Lincolns and De Villes changed to Mercedes because they now cost more than the Caddy, ergo, they must be better cars.

Is this an example of sheeple'ism?

mwc

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 05, 2002 - 03:04 PM

MarkC I think I can answer that for Ego, although he doesnt need help, YES.

You shoulda seen the look on my Boss's face when I showed him the built in Korea stickers on about 100 of the parts in his 190E.
I told him he had the nicest hyundai Id ever seen.

But you have to look at the sheer technology that you get when you plop down your 6300, in comparison to what you got for your 1850 in the mid 80's, and its a deal. Plain and simple.

• Wakeman

Posted August 05, 2002 - 03:05 PM

I remember back in 1985 I had $2,000 saved up to buy a CR500, but in 86/87 the price sky rocketed while I was trying to decide the KX/CR question.

Before and since I don't think that price have gone up much year to year. If they overproduce and the market dries up some, maybe the prices will actually come down. Its all about supply and demand.

• J.Hall

Posted August 05, 2002 - 03:07 PM

a plain jane 2wd toyota pickup cost 5500 in 83, get one now 13000. A friend of mine at the track said it was a lot cheaper for his boy to race motocross than it was to race go carts, I dont mean shifter carts either, I mean briggs and stratton carts. Even if you count 5k for works showa suspension and 2k in motor mods you have something that can be competitive at the highest level of our sport, look at kyle lewis! I think we are getting a bargain. Also the mfr dont make any real money on the mx bikes in the grand scheme of things. They make it on playbikes and four wheelers, watercraft, outboard enguines and automobiles. They want your brand loyalty so you'll buy all their other stuff. What they make on the yz's probably doesnt cover their racing budget, especially with the salaries today. They just dont sell enough mx bikes to make a lot of money on them.

• beezer

Posted August 06, 2002 - 08:29 AM

A buddy of mine and his kid had to stop racing Jr. Dragster as the costs escalated. JR Dragsters use Briggs and Stratton motors and are supposed to be low cost. The stock motors can only take so much so they make total billet motors. The cost 5,000 each and you need more than 1.

In MX outspending your competition does not mean you'll win. And you can look like a putz losing on a trick bike.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 06, 2002 - 08:42 AM

Look at the cost of hookers in Vegas as compared form 30 + years back, Geez now your talking inflation

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted August 06, 2002 - 08:53 AM

I'm just thankful my income has kept the pace with hooker inflation.

Not everyone is so fortunate.

Maybe we could have a raffel.

• Guest_blatham489_*

Posted August 06, 2002 - 10:56 AM

But EGO, aren't you again forgetting that those hooker dollars are buying much bigger, better and faster equipment? Either way, your reference is to a used equipment market. I thought we were talking about new equipment only. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 06, 2002 - 11:06 AM

Ya wanna talk tech, nowadays hookers are way more advanced than hookers from say just 20 years ago. I mean you can get a hooker now thats better lookin than most moviestarlets. Rocket fuel hot! Ya they're 250 an hour, but what an hour :D Compare that to the truckstop snatch from 20 years ago that you need a bag for, not to mention the smell or any of the rest of it. (shudder) :)

Hookers, too funny, Id rather ride. :D

• yznvegas

Posted August 06, 2002 - 11:18 AM

What do you call a hooker with a runny nose????

FULL :) :D

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 06, 2002 - 11:25 AM

Well I dunno about the trucker Hookers, But I did know a guy who had a bud , that had a cousin who lived in Jearsly Shore, that new a guy named sludge.

Well I was told by this guy who had a bud , that had a cousin who lived in Jearsly Shore, that new a guy named sludge that was a trucker, who dated this girl, that had a friend that was a truck stop hooker :) (See where Im going with this)

Anyway the story goes as this guy I knew who had a bud , that had a cousin who lived in Jearsly Shore, that new a guy named sludge that was a trucker, who dated this girl, that had a friend that was a truck stop hooker.

So to make a short story a little longer this guy I knew who had a bud , that had a cousin who lived in Jearsly Shore, that new a guy named sludge that was a trucker, who dated this girl, that had a friend that was a truck stop hooker.
said that sludge was the cause of this truck stop hooker being a hooker becouse the gal he dated that new the hooker who had a friend and new this guy that was a bud of the guy I knew.

Bottom line I dont know where this is going so I will stop now

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 06, 2002 - 11:31 AM

Ok so now its a joke post

here is one

There is a Texas Cowboy, an American Indian and a Muslum at the airport talking. The subject got onto terrorist and the conversation stopped.

The Texas Cowboy just folded his arms leaned way back in the chair, tipped his hat down and kicked out hsi legs as to go alseep.

The American Indian and the Muslum started talkin the Muslim Asked
Tell Me about your People

The American Indian Replied
Once we were many
Now we are few

The Muslum Declared
Ha We were once few
And now we are Many, How do you explain that?

Well The cowboy lifted his hat and looked at the Muslum and said in his Texas Wide Draw

Easy We aint Played Cowboy and Moslum Yet :)

• tripod

Posted August 06, 2002 - 05:13 PM

Mark, you hit the nail on the head. On old wise man once said... If you charge enough, you can sell anything.

• MXOldtimer

Posted August 06, 2002 - 07:03 PM

There's a simple solution if you think $6000.00+ for a new 450 is to much. Take a clean sheet of paper and a sharp pencil and design your own After you've spent $6000.00+ on design, research, a simple working model, a preproduction model for testing and then a final product,,,you might have a set of forks but you'ld be way over budget by then. For what we pay I think we are getting a bargin.

• Hick

Posted August 06, 2002 - 08:00 PM

Originally posted by E.G.O.****:
Ok so now its a joke post

As far as you're concerned, aren't they all??

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 07, 2002 - 02:03 AM

I have not seen anyone mention import taxes. How much of the price (percentage wise) accounts for taxes now, and what percentage of the price accounted for import taxes 15 or 20 years ago?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.