short faced jump phobia

11 replies to this topic
  • 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 03, 2002 - 04:28 PM

WHATS UP FELLAS!
Let me start by saying this site is great.
I've been using the search function and learned a great deal of info about my 2001 426 which by the way I love.Now,to my problem..Ran a couple motorcross tracks and did good the jumps were big and mostly long faced I tried a short faced double at a friends house and total brain freeze I did everything wrong ..chopped on the face,bent my knees to absorb the jump, stuff I know I shouldnt do! i feel like its too short to set up for take off.SUGGESTION BOX IS OPEN PLEASE HELP!

NOT SHAW WAK DA TROTTLE

[ August 03, 2002: Message edited by: 756 ROOST IT ]

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 04, 2002 - 04:01 AM

Rooster,
The thing to remember on the short faced, steep jumps is the earths gravity trying to get you to endo off these things. These jumps require heavy throttle, and aggressive body positioning.

You have to fight gravity to keep from getting thrown too far forward and down into the bike. The heavy throttle is to keep the front end from dropping,keeping it as light as possible.
Although your arms/shoulders can absorb some of the forward impact while the bike hits the face of these jumps, you have to resist letting your body hit the tank/face hit the crossbar.

The BIGGEST thing is knowing if you don't hit it right, you may flip the bike. This anxiety will hold you back every time. The only thing I can recommend it is to start small and work up. You don't want to try the "Big Double" with the takeoff ramp being a short, steep faced launch pad.

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: NH Kevin ]

• 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 04, 2002 - 07:33 AM

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE...I AGREE WITH YOU ANXIETY
SOMETIMES GETS THE OF ME.ILL WORK ON THAT.
THANKS AGAIN! ----------------------
2001 YZ426F WB. R4 RENTHAL BARS DUNLOP 756S
MOSTLY STOCK

• CJ_Baran

Posted August 04, 2002 - 08:01 AM

rooster,

There are two short and steep jumps on my track that kick my rear up. I try it over and over to jump correct. The one I just can't figure out. It gets pretty scary when you totally endo and almost flip over the bars. I have never gotten the confidence to jump at full speed.

More throttle through the face and lean back seems to help...but I am still not getting it right...so I feel for ya. :)

• Hootna

Posted August 04, 2002 - 04:56 PM

Its all in the body posistion. I have found that the steeper the face the more you want to keep your weight forward. But this is all dependent on the height of the jump and the approach speed. Just make sure you dont go over the bars.

Actually in my case I lost the front end and smashed full force into the jump face. Results - Massive concussion, fractured ribs and some awesome road rash on my arms. Thank god for Arai Helmets and Asterisk knee braces.

Just be careful, practice and have fun :)

Posted August 04, 2002 - 05:08 PM

762 Rooost it, Where in New Jersey are you riding?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 05, 2002 - 06:30 AM

GREAT ADVISE GUYS
I THINK BODY POSITION IS KEY.IF I GET UP ON THE FRONT AT LEAST I WONT FEEL LIKE IM GONNA LOOP OUT.#302 I BELEAVE WEVE MET AT CHATTSWORTH. IM JUST GETTING MY FEET WET HERE,AFTER 15 YEARS OF NOT RIDING ILL TAKE ALL THE ADVISE I CAN GET!
THANKS AGAIN
------------------
01 YZ426 WB.R4 RENTHAL BARS DUNLOP 756S

• MXOldtimer

Posted August 05, 2002 - 06:53 AM

On "very" short faced jumps or a kicker, you'll find the front end compresses and as the rear suspension bottoms the front end is unloading causing the bike to rotate and causing the endo feeling. On this type of jump I'll hit it with power, standing, and slide back to let the seat hit me in the ass to keep the rearend from kicking up.

• flyinguitars

Posted August 05, 2002 - 07:24 AM

let me know next time your going to chatsworth and maybe we could practice the track together. Ive crashed at just about every spot on that track...lol...so Im sure I could help you with the things that you do not want to do.
Mike

• 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 05, 2002 - 11:36 AM

Flying
does your bike have red white and blue graphics ,i may have seen you there.#302 your bike
has yellow plastics right? anyway im probally gonna wait for this heat to back off a little
maybe in a couple weeks.
again thanks to all for the input!
-----------------
01 426 wb r4 rethals 756s

[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: 756 ROOST IT ]

• flyinguitars

Posted August 05, 2002 - 03:31 PM

No my heres a pic of my bike:
Posted Image
I have a black ram quad cab and usually park at the mx track. I also usually ride with a guy that has a Rm-250. Im going to start riding again this week. Id be happy to work on the jumps with you when you make it out there.
Mike

• 756_ROOST_IT

Posted August 05, 2002 - 03:56 PM

FLYING
sounds good,Ill keep an eye out for ya.I dont think I could miss your bike.it looks pretty cool.
i met another guy there who said he also uses this site I thought it was #302 but im not sure yet maybe we can all blast around ,that would be cool aay?
----------------
01 426 wb. r4 renthal bars dunlop756s

[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: 756 ROOST IT ]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.