04 450 Shutting of while riding.

4 replies to this topic
  • vchssrider

Posted July 12, 2004 - 02:56 AM

Anybody have this happen. Yesterday I was riding in the woods and cruising along in 3rd gear and the bike just shut off. I kicked it about 4 times and it started right up and rode the next 3 miles with no problems. I then took a 10 min break. Took off back in the woods and about 4 miles in cruising along in 3rd gear bike just shut off. I had this happen to me during a race also. The race was 40 miles. Laps were 8 miles. Started second lap bike shut off while I was riding. Kicked it 3 times started back up and never stalled again. Anybody have any IDEA??

• slappie

Posted July 12, 2004 - 04:06 AM

Sounds like it could be vapor lock.

Make sure your fuel vent is not obstructed in any way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sean_McCutcheon

Posted July 12, 2004 - 08:21 AM

Same thing happened to one of my friends and it was caused from vapor lock. So he took all the guts out of his gas cap and removed the inline breather hose thing. I forget what that thing is called. The bike doens't shut off anymore.

• vchssrider

Posted July 12, 2004 - 11:49 AM

Guess I will try and take of the little vent tube and put the stock one back on and see if that fixes the problem.

• Fastest1

Posted July 13, 2004 - 08:58 AM

Did it happen while turning by any chance? If so make sure there is enough slack in the kill switch wire. Make sure it is connected well. Could be vapor lock or damaged one way valve in the fuel vent line. Vapor lock is caused from gas getting too hot and boiling not from lack of venting in the gas tank.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.