Disgusted - Can't get oil reading on dipstick

5 replies to this topic
  • Drtbykr

Posted July 12, 2004 - 02:46 AM

I was out for a trail ride, some water but not too bad.
Buddies CRF450 made out ok.

Anyway, on way home the engine seemed to be knocking louder that usual.

I drove the rest of the half mile and went home and changed the oil. Lots came out. Filled the oil up, let the bike run for minute, no oil reading on dipstick? Did it again, still nothing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dealer said if the oil pump wasn't working it would have burnt up.

I don't have a clue why oil isn't getting up to the dipstick area.

Thanks (I'm not the greatest mechanic).Bike only has 500 kilometers on it though, and i change the oil religiously with synthetic.

• gomopar440

Posted July 12, 2004 - 03:34 AM

Check the screen fitting in the bottom of the frame oil tank. Might be blocked :thumbsup:.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 12, 2004 - 03:34 AM

How much oil have you or did you put in?

The system will hold 1500 to 1700cc depending how dry you drained it.

Also to validate if the pump is working you can "loosen the oil tube at the head (Right side Above Header next to Carb (Chrome Bolt and Oil Tubing)) just a bit while running." 12mm Wrnch will work

If the pump is working you will get solid oil flow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichBaker

Posted July 12, 2004 - 02:08 PM

How much oil have you or did you put in?

The system will hold 1500 to 1700cc depending how dry you drained it.If the pump is working you will get solid oil flow.

WRONG!! Look at his sig, it's an 03. They only hold a quart....

• Lowedog

Posted July 12, 2004 - 02:51 PM

The manual says to open the check screw at where the oil line feeds the head to make sure it is circulating after an oil change. It also says to run it for several minutes to get the oil into the frame tank.

Lowedog

• simch

Posted July 16, 2004 - 11:36 AM

Yep, you need to bleed it through the screw on the head as Lowdog says!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.