Coil on Plug setup from Mike Dean

27 replies to this topic
  • 98yz

Posted August 07, 2002 - 11:30 AM

But now you HAVE to remove the tank to change spark plugs!

• mike_dean

Posted August 07, 2002 - 12:04 PM

I installed mine over the winter and have been riding it for 7 months with out a problem, still same spark plug. Mike

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: mike dean ]

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: mike dean ]

• Fastest1

Posted August 07, 2002 - 12:24 PM

With the Hayabusa cap/coil you dont have to remove the gas tank. The article didnt say it was a Hayabusa coil I just tried one and it worked. It is much smaller than the Ford coil. I am sure both work fine. It just people something to do in their garage while they are waiting to go for a ride. Anyway just tell people it doesnt have a coil it is a diesel! LOL

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 08, 2002 - 12:55 PM

98yz Why would you have to change the plug?
I changed mine.....err......checked it and put it back, a year ago, and then checked it again about a month ago(only because the race was over on ESPN2 and I had nothing else to do)and put it back again because it was fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bambislayer

Posted August 08, 2002 - 05:59 PM

I too am a little confused about the whole issue myself. I have adjusted, and lubed my throttle cables, and removed the entire carburetor with the stock coil in place. It has caused no problems. The only reason why I would even think about it would be for looks and quite frankly I would rather spend the $55 on graphics that someone besides the most technical person would would actually notice. The fact that you guys can cross reference parts from cars and use them and all is ingenious, but come on, is it necessary? And to whoever said you have to remove your tank to change plugs...you are right. We all do even with the stock coil. I cannot for the life of me see how it would be possible to change plugs without taking the tank off.

• Hokie

Posted August 09, 2002 - 05:41 AM

Originally posted by Bambislayer:
I cannot for the life of me see how it would be possible to change plugs without taking the tank off.

You don't have to take the tank ALL the way off to change the plug. You do have to take the tank bolts out so you can lift the tank up some while getting the spark plug cap off.

Saves a little time since you don't have to remove the fuel line too.

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 12, 2002 - 03:16 AM

Fastest1,
Are you running this Hayabusa coil now??

If so, what was the $$ lay out?

Thanks!!

NH Kevin

• Fastest1

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:23 AM

NH Kevin
I paid $35.00 for the coil used from a salvage yard. The electrical connection/plug to the coil cost me another $20.00. So a total of about $55.00 and an hour of my time to wire and fiddle. It works great and is very small. It fits the hole in the head perfectly. It seems to be well sealed. It has performed flawlessly. That being said it doesnt work any better or worse than stock. It just gave me something to do!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.