Kennedy Medows this coming weekend...any advice?

6 replies to this topic
  • loufish

Posted July 11, 2004 - 06:02 PM

Between 4-6 of us will be heading out to K/M this weekend, a couple of BRPs, a YZF450 quad, and a couple of other 4-strokes. First time for all of us, we are looking to ride some place a little cooler then our usual desert. Any advice or hints to help the ride be more successful?

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted July 12, 2004 - 03:15 AM

Good luck with the quad, there is only one or two trails that are legal for quads. Also, unless you camp at Monache, don't bother pulling it off the trailer, you'll probably get a ticket. Have fun though.

• loufish

Posted July 12, 2004 - 02:09 PM

Good luck with the quad, there is only one or two trails that are legal for quads. Also, unless you camp at Monache, don't bother pulling it off the trailer, you'll probably get a ticket. Have fun though.

Now you have my attention...do you mean the trails aren't wide enough for quads? If you have a red or green sticker on your quad, isn't that enough? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lisa'sxr4

Posted July 12, 2004 - 02:11 PM

The trails are motorcycle only. The only area quads are allowed are Sherman Peak 4x4 road and Monache Jeep Trail. The rangers will cite if ridden elsewhere (this includes the campground)

• Dave102429

Posted July 13, 2004 - 07:56 AM

The Kennedy Meadows area has some great motorcycle trails. Note, these are 12"-36" wide trails. You may want to leave the quad at home. Check out this link for information about the area and trails. http://www.kernvalle...ews/offroad.htm

When you get there, stop at the Blackrock Information Station and pick up some trail maps. It might be a good idea to get one of those free fire permits too.

The Kennedy Meadows campground is for camping only, no bikes. Camp at either Troy Meadows or Fish Creek, both of which have motorcycle trails that lead out of the campground. If the campgrounds are full, you can camp in the overflow campgrounds, which require a fire permit to have a campfire.

Take a backpack and carry your lunch, water, snacks, one-time-use camera, TP, Advil, tools, etc., with you on your ride and try making a loop out of some of the trails. It's easy to pull off a 6-hour loop ride.

The elevation is about 8000 feet so jet accordingly.

Bring some warm clothes. It gets a bit cold at night.

• loufish

Posted July 14, 2004 - 02:14 PM

The elevation is about 8000 feet so jet accordingly.

Does anybody have any jetting recomendations? I thought I can get away with just a quick adjustment on the idle screw...out is rich, right?

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted July 15, 2004 - 01:22 PM

You will be fine with reg jetting. I never rejet my pig in KM. It doesn't have all of the power it does at 0-2000 feet, but there is plenty. I have ridden to about 10,000 feet with no problems. The 2 stroke is a whole diff story :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.