shock spring rate help..used 426

3 replies to this topic
  • dcg4403

Posted July 11, 2004 - 01:58 PM

I recently bought an 02 426 with Race Tech suspension both front and back. I was checking free sag today and it is over 220 mm with me on board. The seller told me it was setup for up to an 180lb rider. He was a small dude (~165lbs) so I don't know what rate the spring had but this seems like an extremely high free sag. Would this much sag make much since with a 206lb rider on board? Do you think Race Tech also dropped the pressure in the rear shock? Do I need to do more than simply install a new RachTech with a higher spring rate?

Devin

• Satch0922

Posted July 11, 2004 - 02:59 PM

when you say free sag you are measuring the bike with it supporting just it's weight, then you climb on board (with gear) and measure it again. The difference is the sag you should be measuring.

Check out RaceTech's site if you haven't already. Race Tech

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shockdoc

Posted July 11, 2004 - 05:00 PM

Thats almost the total amount of travel you have. Somethings not right. How are you measuring the sag?

doc

• dcg4403

Posted July 12, 2004 - 07:39 PM

Yea, I thought so myself. Maybe I screwed it up but I'm usually pretty good at getting stuff like this right. But I'm a know-it-all.....
Measured (A) = height from the rear axle to a perpendicular point directly above (used a reference off the rear plastic) with only the bike (static weight)
Measured (:thumbsup: = same reference points but with my full weight on the pegs.
B - A = free sag = ~200mm.

I warmed up the suspension prior to measuring. Like I said, maybe I seriously goofed but I did take multiply measurements. Even with that sag that bike certainly still has more travel so I don't know that I agree with shockdoc's statement.

Devin

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.