Ultimate 4 Race Fuel

22 replies to this topic
  • yzf322

Posted August 02, 2002 - 05:08 AM

Just wondering has anyone tried the new race fuel thats made for four strokes yet.It is supposed to be safe for o-rings,gaskets and not harm the carb, its in the Sept edition of Transworld Motocross Mag....................

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 02, 2002 - 07:02 AM

Who makes it?

• AZ918MAN

Posted August 02, 2002 - 07:27 AM

VP makes it and the stuff is AWESOME. It is way better than the NUTEC. I have only run about 3 gallons but the stuff is really good. I havent had a chance to get any dyno numbers yet but, by the seat of pants I would say 3-4 ponies more. And it has a great VP smell instead of the nasty nutec smell and its cheaper. I will get some dyno numbers here monday or tuesday

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 02, 2002 - 07:37 AM

What does it cost and whats the number or name of it?

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 02, 2002 - 07:47 AM

Do you guys order this stuff through the mail or do you get it from a local shop?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 02, 2002 - 07:57 AM

here is the link to VP's site, but I dont see anything really new. www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html?mgiToken=D031D8026F4610782E#specialty

• SoundChaser

Posted August 02, 2002 - 09:28 PM

Shawn-
Two weeks ago I was up at LACR and the VP truck was there selling fuel, it said it was called Ultimate 4, they wanted 8 bucks a gallon. That's all I know about it, but am very interested if others have tried it and give it the thumbs up.

• SUnruh

Posted August 02, 2002 - 10:09 AM

ya just gotta know where to look! :)

Specification Sheet: VP Ultimate 4

Specific Gravity: .718 @ 60°F

Lead: 4.2 g/gal.

Color: Clear

Motor Octane: 92.2

RVP: 9.66

Distillation:
10% evap @ 122.2°F
50% evap @ 149.7°F
90% evap @ 219.1°F
E.P. @ 266.7°F

Production: Elmendorf, Texas USA

Availability: Sealed Drums

versus

Specification Sheet: VP C-12

Specific Gravity: .717 @ 60F

Lead: 4.23 g/gal (US)

Color: Green

Motor Octane: 108 MON

RVP: 7.3

Oxidation Stability (min.) 1440+

Distillation:
10% evap @131.0°F
50% evap @194.0°F
90% evap @228.0°F
E.P. @233.3°F

Production: Elmendorf, Texas USA

Availability: Sealed Drums

versus

Specification Sheet: VP MR-1

Specific Gravity: 0.740 @ 60°F

Lead, g/L: 4g/gal

Color: Clear

Research Octane: 104

Motor Octane: 90

Oxygen: 2.55

Distillation:
10% evap @ 124°F
50% evap @ 180°F
90% evap @ 222°F
E.P. @ 254°F

Production: San Antonio, Texas USA

Availability: Sealed Drums, Pails

MR-1 was designed for AMA 4 stroke competition Dyno tests have shown .5% to 4% more power over our competitors. MR-1's higher octane value helps resists detonation while allowing easier tuning.

however, i couldn't seem to find the specs on MRX01.
the BIG differences is the 10% evap point and the reed vap press.

the other odd thing is one page says it is 2.55% oxygenated and the spec sheet don't mention it like mr1 does. odd!

[ August 02, 2002: Message edited by: SUnruh ]

• Uncle_Rich

Posted August 02, 2002 - 12:39 PM

I use Sunoco Purple 110 pump oct. about $4.00 here
Here are some links to check out

http://www.racegas.c...gas/default.asp

http://www.centurype...om/racefuel.htm

Rich

• fastkevin

Posted August 02, 2002 - 02:33 PM

We bought a drum, and tried some in a road racer. We were also told the same thing (better than Nutec, less money etc..) Unfortunately we popped a head gasket (unrelated to the fuel), and will have to wait.. I'm going to dyno it back to back with Nutec, in a bike that I know gained 6hp from Nutec, and see what I find out..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted August 02, 2002 - 04:26 PM

The last time I bought some C12 I had a really long lunch prior, and didnt realize that I had just paid 9 bucks a gallon for c12. Not happy.

I am looking into a couple of mixing agents and recipes from a guy that works at unocal. He has a chart on mixing in Toluene and Xzylene, to raise the octane and available BTU levels of pump gas. Figure Toluene is 2.50 a gallon and Xzylene is about 2.85 a gallon. Pump premium is 1.75 a gallon. You could mix up some 99.5 octane for about 11 bucks for 5 gallons. Its too cheap to ignore.

• thumper4life

Posted August 02, 2002 - 05:57 PM

and youre gonna post your findings here, rrrright??? :) :D

• SUnruh

Posted August 03, 2002 - 04:19 AM

shawn,
while that sounds all nice and good, yer still starting with the base pump swill.

here is an anology:
3 gal of generic BEER that cost $1.50 a 6pack
1 gal of Fosters Lager $6 a 6pack
1 gal of Bass Ale $7 a 6pack

yes, you have 5 gallons of beer, but 3 of it is pelican wizz.

try to find the evap points of that pump fuel and the reed vapor pressure, then we can compare REAL numbers.

p.s. not trying to razz ya. just pointing stuff out.

• AZ918MAN

Posted August 03, 2002 - 08:30 AM

I get it from a local dealer and i pay 8 bucks a gallon - i think itslike 98 or 99 octane. Its great stuff. We were playing with VP C-12 on the dyno and with a stock motor we actually lost power by running that hi of an octane. like I said in the earlier post we are going to dyno my bike on monday or tuesday with VP ulitmate 4, Nutec and VP in it to see what makes the best power. i will keep you updated.

• fastkevin

Posted August 03, 2002 - 09:47 PM

Originally posted by AZ918MAN:
We were playing with VP C-12 on the dyno and with a stock motor we actually lost power by running that hi of an octane.

A lot of people have the misconception that high octane "race fuel" will make their bike go faster, and find out the same thing you did. C-12(and others like it) runs cooler than regular pump gas. It's designed for motors with very high compression that would detonate on pump gas. A motor built to run on pump gas usually won't benefit on the leaded high octane stuff. The oxygenated fuels usually have a lower octane rating, and can give a stock (relatively speaking) motor some help.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 03, 2002 - 12:00 PM

Oxygenates will acutally raise the octane levels but wont yeild as much power because of the available BTU's are lower.
The BTU's in Toluene are higher than in Xzylene, and thats why you want to use it instead of Xzylene to enhance pump gas. Basically you use the pump gas as a base only.
The MTBE or methal tetra-butyl-ethane that is in most fuels is an oxygenate, that will cause things to burn cleaner but is lacking in available BTU's, its also what they load up on in premium fuels, to get the octane ratings up from where the regular 87 octanes fuels are.
Tetra ethly lead is what they used to use to get regular gasoline up to 95+ but it will kill you and everything around you really quick. Smells bitchen though.
Ya Im going to go out today and mix up a batch o'rocket fuel, but I wont be able to run it for a week or so, I just topped off with 100 unleaded 76, that I normally run. So sit tight. I'll get back with some resutls ASAP. :)

• AZ918MAN

Posted August 04, 2002 - 03:15 PM

DUH - i know you loose power with C-12. we just wanted to see how much - and i was just pointing it out cuz most people dont know that

• rvanliere

Posted August 04, 2002 - 06:17 PM

My bike friggen rips on Sinclair 89 octane pump gas. I think I pay $1.45/gallon. Are you guys that good that you really need that race gas ? Now dont get me wrong , I suck and I admit it. I just really feel way out of my league here. I wish I could be that good of rider to need the race fuel. I ride with a guy that is totally amazing fast and an awsome rider on the 426 and he runs pump gas. Does this mean that he could run with the big boys if he ran this scientific fuel mixture . I'm not being sarcastic I just dont understand how $9.00/gallon fuel makes these powerhouse bikes any better than I can legitimately ride them. I think I will have to get better and try the race fuel and see I guess? :)

• fastkevin

Posted August 05, 2002 - 03:38 AM

I use it in road race bikes, where power=drive=you're in first at the end of a long straight.. I use pump gas in my 250F in the dirt, but now that I'm thinking of it, may try the new VP the next time I TT it

• tuck

Posted August 05, 2002 - 05:17 PM

Originally posted by yzf322:
Just wondering has anyone tried the new race fuel thats made for four strokes yet.It is supposed to be safe for o-rings,gaskets and not harm the carb, its in the Sept edition of Transworld Motocross Mag....................

It's MR1. I tried it and I did seem to get a slight power increase.BUT!!!! the stuff gave off an unbeleivable amount of fumes.Even after I drained my tank and replaced it with pump gas the fumes were still coming in the house from the garage.My house is about 3200sq.ft.and as soon as I opened the door to the garage, the wife was yelling WHAT IS THAT SMELL! from the 2nd floor.I got a warning not to bring this fuel home again.
At $80.00 for 5 gal. I don't think I will,

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.