Oil seeping out ... can't figure out why

2 replies to this topic
  • id250f

Posted July 10, 2004 - 02:06 PM

The cover where the oil filter goes ... oil is seeping out. I replaced all the o-rings and still it seeps ... the bolts are as tight as I can get them (within reason) ... anybody had this problem or know why it might be happening?

It all started after I removed the entire cover to replace the water pump bearing. I'm sure it's a coincidence ... but that was the course of events leading up to it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted July 10, 2004 - 03:51 PM

make sure the bolts arent bottoming out. Maybe you got a few bolts mixed up that are slightly different in length. To do this remove the filter cover and screw the bolts in by hand as far as they go. The bolts must stick out by LESS then the thickness of the cover.

• chrome-crf

Posted July 10, 2004 - 03:54 PM

You know if you tighten the bolts too much it compresses the gasket and causes it to prematurely fail. You shouldn't need to tighten them more than one hands strength with a socket.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.