Who's got Mx-tech on their ride.

20 replies to this topic
  • Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted June 06, 2001 - 08:36 AM

I talked to Mx-tech and am thinking about getting a revalve for hare scrambles. Does any one have any input, good or bad. Whats your set up, cost and comments, opinions.
Thanks in advance

• Ga426owner

Posted June 06, 2001 - 08:57 AM

Go to http://www.dirtrider.net to talk to Jeremy Wilkins himself as well as others who use MX-Tech parts & services

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 06, 2001 - 09:12 PM

Pie Man,
Mr.(Moderator) Bill in PA will be receiving his re-valved suspension shortly from MxTech. I believe MCarp has had his done there as well.

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC, and I use MOBIL 1 Oil, with ZERO problems.

• ballistic

Posted June 06, 2001 - 09:26 PM

Ummm, I ride a DRZ but MX-Tech resprung and revalved me front and back recently. HUGE diff, night and day diff. My best money spent so far.

• mcarp

Posted June 06, 2001 - 09:47 PM

MX-Tech does fantastic work. They lightened the feel considerably, removed that awful midrange wall, and increased bottoming
resistance with different high speed valving.
Now I can actually use the travel, not just half of it.

They also adjusted my fork oil height to 90mm with their custom blend of fork oil.

For my weight and riding (trail, light MX), no springs were needed.

Cost? I'll let MX tech quote you out, you're needs may be different. For example a 01 fork may not need any bottoming work done. See what Jeremy or John at Mx-tech have to say. I shopped around a little, and found the prices to be right there with everyone else. Really price wasn't a big concern, I wanted the best forks I could get.

Other comments? With the exception of trying and using the Michelin S12 front tire, the revalve was THE best thing I've done to the bike to improve performance. Now roots and rocks DO NOT deflect the front end, easy jump landings go totally unnoticed, steering action seems quicker and less prone to washing out, overall HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Ballistic says "night and day", that's an accurate statement for what they did to my forks too. I haven't even had to adjust the clickers, right out of the box all seemed to be in order. I may experiment just to see what happens, but as of now they're fine.

I think it's REAL important to be honest with them about how you want it setup, how you rate as a rider (A, B, C, etc) and where you'll be riding the most (what terrain, hills, rocks, sand, etc).

Tell 'em Bill sent you :) He'll probably add a comment once he gets his back, too.

• mike_dean

Posted June 07, 2001 - 02:21 AM

MX-tech did my forks, they are very smooth and predictable, excellent work. mike

• Bill

Posted June 07, 2001 - 02:45 AM

Pie,

The reason I went with MX-T was due to the test that MXA did on their suspension comared to all the other players in the market. MXA had never heard of MX-T and MX-T smoked the competition.

I was also trying to get my forks to work on my 99 and called MX-T, Jeremy himself answered my email and we exchanged several mails. He finally asked for my phone number and called me. We spoke at length about what to do. I could not beleive the customer service level.

Mcarp (Mike) asked me what I thought about suspension builders and I sent him to MX-T, they did a great job with his stuff.

I should have my back today and will ride this weekend. John from MX-T's east coast facility gave me his home, cel and shop phone numbers so, when I get to the track and have a question this weekend. I could call him and get answers.

He also said the suspension should be within one click of proper adjustment. I don't think Mike has adjusted his suspension and has riden track and trail.

Stay tuned :)

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, MX-Tech suspension, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• SUnruh

Posted June 07, 2001 - 05:08 AM

bill,
did you have the bottoming cones put in your bike?
because if you didn't, you didn't get that MXA award winning setup.
if you want the REAL info and setup on those forks, talk to Jeff Howe at www.trakcontrol.com he used to be a mx-tech affiliate, but like everybody else, had a falling out with Jer. jeff now uses the gp-racing valve (designed by Jer AND Rob Mann [another fallout person]). Jeff is also the one that came up with the mid-valve fix that Jer uses.

• Bill

Posted June 07, 2001 - 05:19 AM

SUnruh,

They provided the 2001 bumpers for my 99???

Bill

• Jeremy_Wilkey

Posted June 07, 2001 - 07:38 AM

Steve,
What is your purpose?
Its one thing to plug people you are satisfied with, its quite another to bash someone who you have no grounds to. How interesting that you have forgotten all the time I took educating you on suspension function, answering your literally 20 e-mails where you asked the same questions again and again. I answered everyone while providing you straight answers. I even recommended that you work your issues out with Factory Connection rather than use my services. After hearing your promises of the fact that you’re going to send me your work, you decided to do differently. I have no issues with this, Please promote the people who have done you right. I only ask that you refrain from bashing those who have not mistreated you in anyway.

Frankly how cheap, I'm sure you new found friends are having a great time over this one. They make every attempt they can to say they did this or that.. I have a suggestion, why don't they worry about moving forward with there cause. I strive every day to manage my business in the best possible way that I can, I get up and love what I do, if my detractors got up every morning and did the same thing they would have better things to do than continually find ways to (either say they where with me when we did this, or conversely say how bad this was when they were. )

What’s next? Let me guess they have not said any thing about this to you, and your just saying what you know or think? Maybe not but rather maybe yes I get e-mails all the time from people telling what these guys say. I'm just moving forward trying to stay professional, every now and then you get enough.

Regards,
Jer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SUnruh

Posted June 07, 2001 - 07:56 AM

jer,
to what purpose you ask?

i guess the truth hurts when it comes to light don't it?

yes, i asked you and a lot of other people questions. you answered a handful. several times repeating the same info that is on your web page. i had said was going to send my stuff your way. well, things change. like you are saying, get over it. a situation presented itself that saved me 2+ weeks of time. i took it.

i have never bashed your work. as a matter of fact, i've always said it was very good work. hmmm, seem to remember posting that all over the place.

i expect for people to get the truth and in some situations, you have not given it. an example is the MXA issue where the price for your forks is listed and NOBODY can buy that setup for that price because you didn't mention to anybody that it had bottoming cones in them!

i am glad you won that competition and it really doesn't matter that the cones were in there or not. however, to mislead people into thinking that you could get THAT setup for THAT price and have the same forks that won is a lie.

please go back to DRN and that clique. we don't want your lies on TT.

[This message has been edited by SUnruh (edited 06-07-2001).]

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted June 08, 2001 - 07:10 PM

Sunruh - You never cease to amaze me with your ability to act in a two-faced fashion. You can add me to the list of people who will no longer be answering your interminable e-mails.

Rich Rohrich

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted June 08, 2001 - 07:11 PM

Hot and scalding like I like it.
My forks and shock will be in the mail, after last race in June.

• ScottyR

Posted June 09, 2001 - 02:46 PM

I think I will let Cycle Improvements in Kitchener ONT (MX-Tech Canada)set up the suspension on my 400EXC. With the exception of SUnruh, I havent heard anything bad about MX-techs work. Anyone up in Canada try Protech Suspensions work?

• SFO

Posted June 10, 2001 - 08:02 AM

I think that Jeremy is going to do my bike.
Rich, it is funny...
I remember my father telling me,
"You can't cheat an honest man."
I don't know why but I hear that phrase every once in a while pop up in my head.
Has anyone tried the Ty Davis link?

• Bill

Posted June 10, 2001 - 10:16 AM

SFO,

There has been some inquires about it and I've visited the site. What does the link do for the suspension? Have you spoke w/Jeremy about using one? Does it affect spring rate?

Bill

• SFO

Posted June 10, 2001 - 10:46 AM

I don't know for certain.
I remember the early 90's yz's, with I think, a pro circuit link would become instant hole shot machines.
Stocker yz-250's were killer with the link.
So, I guess there is some nostalgia clouding my
reality.
I read, (ahem, forgive me, in dirt bike about the ty link).
All I can do is give it a whirl, I guess.
It would cost me more in time to create a 180.00 part with my machine tools.
With the luck that Ty has been having I guess he could use my 180.00 bucks right about now.
GO TY DAVIS!
Forgive my outburst, Bill.

[This message has been edited by SFO (edited 06-10-2001).]

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted June 10, 2001 - 06:18 PM

First I must say I contacted Jer and he responded quickly and said the local dealer would call me, he followed up to check and make sure, I had been called. There was a slight lag of a day or two before contact witht the local dealer. But Jer had called me to check up and make sure everything was ok. That show comittment to his business and customers.
2nd My post was intended to intiate feedback on how the suspension works from other users. I appreciate both positive and negative feed back. I would want to know if some one felt they had gotten ripped off or bad customer service or the suspension didnt work well. I also understand plugging a buddys suspension service. But your vague references to bad relations with some people who I dont know is weak. In my opinion if your going to rip someone in a public forum you should address them directly. I just want to know if the suspension works. That information combined with the level customer serice I have already received had convinced me to go with mx-tec .

• mcarp

Posted June 21, 2001 - 05:45 AM

I still swear by my MX-tech forks. I'll be sending them back over the winter for service. No, I'm not affiliated with any of these guys, just a happy customer.

• Bill

Posted June 21, 2001 - 06:38 AM

Pie,

I finally got out to try the new suspension. I cannot tell you how good it is. Out of the box it work much better than the stock suspension. I rode very rocky trails and rode a day of MX.

I haven't had time to play with the clickers. I was trying to catch Mike68 :) I may not even mess with the clickers, it depends on how the suspension works on my home track.

The customer service is outstanding and the suspension is, as good.

Oh and all this, without setting my sag yet :D

Bill

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.