If you've ever had doubts about installing a Baja Kit

17 replies to this topic
  • r_dawg1021

Posted July 09, 2004 - 08:17 PM

In my opinion this kit is very well put together for the WR. I started on it around 4pm last night, took a 2 hour break to go get my friend and his broken street bike and returned to have it done by midnight. The only outstanding issues I have are the flushmounts they gave me(Way too small),I havent installed the brake switch yet and I need to send the stator into them to have the ground floated.

I am sure the Trick Dual Sport kit is equally as nice but I wanted to let everyone that bashed the Baja Kit know the comments really are unfounded.

If I were to do it over I would buy the Baja Kit again. Actually, I would do it all myself and save $400 :thumbsup:

• 5spoke

Posted July 10, 2004 - 05:36 AM

Actually, I would do it all myself and save $400 :thumbsup:

That's right, Baja kit is quite expensive for a couple of turn signals, a horn, lt sw and brake sw.

• r_dawg1021

Posted July 10, 2004 - 07:15 AM

Actually, I would do it all myself and save $400 :thumbsup:

That's right, Baja kit is quite expensive for a couple of turn signals, a horn, lt sw and brake sw.

It's actually a lot more than that and is the reason I didnt do it myself. I am not an electrical expert and do not have the time or patience to track down the right wiring harnesses and stuff. Yeah I could go buy the hardware for $50 but then how would I install it? That's the part I don't know and am not willing to figure out.

• ovrrdrive

Posted July 10, 2004 - 07:54 AM

I've never heard any problems with the fit and finish, it's the electrical problems that would worry me. Get your stator installed and run it for a few months then post again...

• r_dawg1021

Posted July 10, 2004 - 04:08 PM

I've never heard any problems with the fit and finish, it's the electrical problems that would worry me. Get your stator installed and run it for a few months then post again...

That's a good point but my point was that the ease of installation was not as difficult as others had made it out to seem. As with anything you install only time will tell if it fits the snuff or not.

• dbone

Posted July 10, 2004 - 04:38 PM

I have the same on my WR and it is easy to install and works great with the stator upgrade...I'm very happy with it .Donnie

• duckboy

Posted July 10, 2004 - 04:39 PM

The kits do work, but customer service is horrible. I waited two months for my kit. When it arrived it had a bad brake switch that melted the rear lens, and had a bad wire in the main harness, which I also had to fix myself because they do not warrenty anything. That was my ttr225, I will not use them for my new bike. :thumbsup:

• DieselsRcool

Posted September 13, 2004 - 04:25 PM

If I do it myself does anyone know what I must do to the stator? I have it off and ready to send but there can't be much to it. By the time I pay shipping both ways and pay the $30 I'll have over $50 bucks in it. Anyone modded their own?

I'm also having second thoughts about paying the $380 for a few parts. Where can I get a bar mounted multi switch?

• 1rkcooper

Posted September 13, 2004 - 09:07 PM

Go to www.trailtech.net If it doesn't tell you what you need to do then ask them. My buddy just did my stator for me. It had to have the ground floated for DC power, way more than I would even think of doing myself. I nicked some of the wires when removing the stator and he was able to repair that as well. He has saved me a good fistfull of cash lately. :devil: :thumbsup: :awww:
It all depends on the bike you have. If you are lucky enough to have DC power already you don't have to do anything to the stator. The boys over at Trailtech should know or Baja Designs should know too or ask your local dealer.
The only problem with mine is that it doesn't put out enough power at idle to run my 55 watt light and signals at the same time. I used a capacitor instead of a battery but we are going to try hooking a battery to it. If it charges more than enough with revs it should charge the battery enough to run signals at idle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jim-in-so-ore

Posted September 14, 2004 - 05:59 AM

I put the Trick Dual Sport kit on my WR450 and with that kit I didn't have to do anything but install it. No floating ground, nothing, just install it and go.. Works great, and cheaper too!!!!!!!!
Jim

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 14, 2004 - 10:26 AM

Ditto my trick dual sport is awesome! I have heard nothing but nightmares for Baja Design kits in the past. Maybe they are finally getting better. Trick dual sport is the way to go and Dale will configure it any way you want and even power your GPS! :thumbsup: :devil:

http://www.trickdualsport.com/

• r_dawg1021

Posted September 14, 2004 - 11:42 AM

Ditto my trick dual sport is awesome! I have heard nothing but nightmares for Baja Design kits in the past. Maybe they are finally getting better. Trick dual sport is the way to go and Dale will configure it any way you want and even power your GPS! :thumbsup: :devil:

http://www.trickdualsport.com/

No offense but this has been beat to the ground. I posted this months ago. We all know BD sucks and TrickDual rocks...

BD has updated their kit and as I mentioned in my original post it works flawlessly, the slandering gets a little old. So what they had a few bad batches they got it worked out and 3 months later I still have zero complaints. :awww:

• John_H

Posted September 14, 2004 - 10:38 PM

I've been looking at DS kits. Probably won't do my current bike, but my next one for sure. :devil:

As far as Baja Designs goes, my riding buddy put one on his 99 wr years ago. He's had no problems and has several thousand miles under his belt. :thumbsup:

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 15, 2004 - 05:39 AM

The Baja Designs kit is old school and kind of crummy. They nick you for $400 for REALLY cheap components. I'm on my second cluster for the horn,signals,and lights. I broke the little selector between High/low beam and they charged me over $20 bucks for the part plus shipping. :thumbsup: I had to finally buy a K/S switch because the bad Baja switch shorted this week and nuked my blinkers and tail light. That little turd of a battery they give you for a non electric start bike(pre 03 WR's)is a joke too. It was dead and useless after less than two months.

In retro, I would check with your buddy on his kit, make a list of all the parts that you would require, and poach them off the internet, and take the stuff to someone with a good background in cycle wiring.

Don't mean to be so harsh on the BD guys, it was the only option available at the time for my '01 WR. Their price is unreasonable for what you're getting. Now there are several options out there. You could start the JOHN H Dual sport kit! :devil:

• simch

Posted September 16, 2004 - 05:28 AM

Can you guys not get the offical Yamaha road kit on your WR's, with horn, turn signals plate hangers etc, like are on the road leagl versions here in the UK?
They even have mirrors although I told the shop not to fit them cos they made it look real cruddy!

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 16, 2004 - 09:08 AM

Not that I'm aware of, and I'm burrowing into the parts book constantly. A factory add on kit from Yamaha would make too much sense. :thumbsup: Imagine, you could just plug it in and everything works, right out of the crate. No stripping, parting,& cutting your brand new cycle like it's a $500 ghost rider. I don't know why they don't offer stuff like that over here. We always kind of get the shaft on cool stuff in the states. I personally blame California. :devil:

• MrBlahh

Posted September 19, 2004 - 04:31 PM

They sell the WR street legal in other countries, so there are parts out there

• Math

Posted September 20, 2004 - 08:50 AM

I'm pretty happy with my kit so far. The only problem I have is that the battery does not hold up enough power. In fact, at present, it probably drains more energy than it accumulates and provides... I'll have to install another battery this winter while I'm doing the maintenance.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.