6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted August 01, 2002 - 07:25 AM

Does anyone know how much compression a 426 should get if you do a compression test?

• therapture

Posted August 01, 2002 - 07:55 AM

1) push kickstarter to TDC

2) DO NOT pull compression release

3) stand on the kickstart lever.

4) if the lever won't go down within 2-3 secs, you have plenty of compression :)

J/K- I do not remember the actual numbers pal...the manual has it in there?

• freestyle111

Posted August 01, 2002 - 10:07 AM

anything below 120lbs start thinking about rings

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted August 01, 2002 - 02:04 PM

On a test, Id be looking for about 180 psi. Your going to have to bump it (push start type) to get a read, because if ya pull the comp release...get the idea?

Get it rolling pretty good in 3rd or 4th, and remember the throttle should be wide open.

• freestyle111

Posted August 01, 2002 - 05:29 PM

you can also use long 1\2" ratchet with 14mm socket just remove ignition cover plug and turn motor over wwith flywheel nut

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted August 01, 2002 - 06:51 PM

I can't find a fitting for the comp tester that fits the plug hole. Anyone know where to get one?

• freestyle111

Posted August 01, 2002 - 07:49 PM

instead of speading $150 on leakdown tester i made my can make a compression tester same way.i busted out the ceramic inside of old spark plug then tapped inside plug [1\4"tap].i then bought a grease gun hose.1\8" fittings on ends.i also bought 2 1\8" to 1\4"couplers and attached spark plug on 1 end and compressor fitting on would only need to use coupler for plug end compression test gauges have 1\8" inletPosted Image

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.