2003 YZ450 for 6300 OTD

30 replies to this topic
  • therapture

Posted August 01, 2002 - 06:35 AM

SOLD! Worked me out a deal today, as soon as it comes in I go to pick it up. I won't say a name of the dealer yet...but that's a damn fine deal me thinks! He already has one on order since the dealer meeting. I am about to slap myself silly at this point now that it is confirmed on price.

More details to follow.....

(mxaddict, drop me a line about the YZF250) :)

• LOOPOUT

Posted August 01, 2002 - 08:35 AM

hahahah you will need more than that to beat me & the other red riders...

JK... cool!!

When we gonna drag race LOL you know the ultimate test for a mx bike hahahaaa

give me a ring

• CJ_Baran

Posted August 01, 2002 - 08:41 AM

Rapture,

That sounds like a great deal. Now it is like waiting for XMAS!! I got $5,600 OTD with an 02...that was pushing it with the WAF (Wife Acceptancy Factor) and could not wait for the 03's :)

• MGR_8

Posted August 01, 2002 - 09:32 PM

$6156.48 OTD on an 03 YZF450 or CRF450. Thought that was pretty good! Got a deposit on the YZF, but do I wait for the YZF or take the CRF now? Hard decision.

MGR8

• LOOPOUT

Posted August 01, 2002 - 10:00 AM

tough call....

if you do any woods riding you might want to lean towards the CRF with the 5spd tranny...

otherwise... its a toss up....

buy them both :)

• MGR_8

Posted August 01, 2002 - 11:07 AM

Loopout, wish I could. All I ride is sx/mx. I don't think I could go wrong with either. Leaning towards the YZF, just hard to wait for it.

MGR8

• therapture

Posted August 01, 2002 - 11:30 AM

I want the YZF for a couple of reasons:

1) I can swap my stiffer springs from my current bike, including the Race Tech Gold Valves.

2) I think the new 4-speed and "stroked" motor will suit my style, I LOVE to ride these bikes, well...like a 4-stroke. TORQUE BABY!

3) Having a truly new bike is cool, just like all the CRF riders in the spotlight last year, now us Blue guys can grab some limelight.

4) I really like the YZF's larger layout, I am tall and all I have to do is add some good bars to make it fit me.

5) EITHER the CRF or YZF is a good bike. But I got bit by the YZ bug, so I am gonna hang on another year, my 2000 model has been very good to me.

• kfrosty

Posted August 02, 2002 - 03:10 AM

$6300 OTD

$5500 OTD in SC.

Course that's not the first batch but from what I found most dealers on get one of the August shipments. (Around here at least.) I'll wait a couple of weeks for $800. :)

• YZ_Abuser

Posted August 02, 2002 - 05:04 AM

Originally posted by kfrosty:

$5500 OTD in SC.

Course that's not the first batch but from what I found most dealers on get one of the August shipments. (Around here at least.) I'll wait a couple of weeks for $800. :)

Do you pay taxes in SC? That seems like one hell of a deal. It the bike lists for $6200 the dealer is paying about $5150. You must not be paying tax, he's be losing money. BTW, what is the name and number for this dealer?

• YZ_Abuser

Posted August 02, 2002 - 05:07 AM

I broke the code. You are in NC and buying the bike out of state in SC. Still a damn good deal!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoman393

Posted August 02, 2002 - 03:00 PM

Do you pay taxes in SC? That seems like one hell of a deal. It the bike lists for $6200 the dealer is paying about $5150. You must not be paying tax, he's be losing money. BTW, what is the name and number for this dealer?

The dealer still makes money at $5150 the cost is much lower than one might think! My friend already finalized a deal for $5100 OTD for a Sept release 450, and Im getting a sweet deal on my 450. But the majority of dealers wont go under $6299...and why should they? It will be by far the most popular bike this year and people will pay retail (and if they dont 10 other people are on the waiting list)

All this recent 450 talk is driving me nuts, where are the riding reviews at? I feel like reading the MXA article on the YZ450 :) Later,

Garrett

• SCIENCE

Posted August 03, 2002 - 04:35 AM

Unless you want one of the first ones $6200+ is too much for these bikes. $5599 out the door is the best price I can find in SE PA. Only catch is I have to wait until October. Since my wife is due w/our first child in October & I won't be riding for a month or so this works out great for me. Also, this price is a win-win for the dealer & myself. He makes $, I save $ & I continue to patronize his shop.

• mxaddict

Posted August 03, 2002 - 05:30 AM

ok, enough of this bull****, give me a break. People will say anything on the net where you can't prove it.

$6200 out the door is too much, buying in state and paying tax? That's like $5600 before tax, a $700 discount off list, and only $274 over dealer invoice of $5326. The dealer will get a 3% holdback next spring of $189 so he's making a whopping total of $463 at the end of the year...then he pays the salesman out of the $274...yeah, he's getting rich alright. And it's amazing how some dealers are so nice they will lose money to sell a bike....the old 'we lost a little but we make up for it in volume' trick huh? Unless it's a Harley dealer, they make big money on parts/service and do ok on bike sales. Nobody's cleaning up $6000 bike sales, even if they get full pop and make $1000 gross.

This whole 'we're getting screwed' attitude from people with no clue how much a dealer really makes is ridiculous. If you want to know when you got screwed it was last time you bought furniture or jewelry, they make an ungodly percentage, not the 18% a dealer gets at msrp.

• mx317

Posted August 03, 2002 - 03:44 PM

mxaddict you are spot on with your dealer price. There is no way a dealer can sell a YZ450f as low as some people say.

• skthom2320

Posted August 03, 2002 - 03:57 PM

mxaddict - I guess I just don't understand your posts.

Who the heck cares how much money the dealer is making off you/me except the dealer? It's called a free-market economy. So what if they only make a dollar? Or worse they lose money. That is their choice. It they don't like it then they are in the wrong business. If the customers whine that they are getting screwed then that should be OK. Our alternative is to live in a govt-price controlled state. That would be great I'm sure. Just look at the former USSR.

My suggestion is to look the other way if you don't like it that some people whine. If no one cared we would all pay $5 a gallon for unleaded gas. I personally like it that some people have enough where-with-all to stand up to the dealers/manufacturers and tell them that $6500 is too much for a dirt bike.

Another thing - don't take this personally. I don't know you. I just feel that "fair price" should really mean "whatever you are willing to pay for it" not "poor guy only makes $xxx off of my transaction."

• freestyle111

Posted August 03, 2002 - 04:49 PM

skthom2320,I just feel that "fair price" should really mean "whatever you are willing to pay for it" not "poor guy only makes $xxx off of my transaction."

that a way skthom2320 you tell him.screw the dealer! do you think they feel bad about over charging us on parts.Hell No!they can hardly wait till next time you need something.if we ever want to see a good deal when buying a new bike. we need to show manufacturers of dirtbikes, that we are not total morons willing to throw are money away just to get first dibbs on new bike each year.i guarantee if 2003 yzf and crf's actually sat in dealer showrooms for 3 or 4 weeks you'd start seeing some serious price slashing.too bad it will never happen.theres just too many darn idiots willing to get on a dealer waiting list no matter what the cost.

• OMEGA

Posted August 03, 2002 - 05:25 PM

$5,100.00 out the door, thats the best one yet.

• mxaddict

Posted August 03, 2002 - 06:03 PM

Originally posted by skthom2320:
mxaddict - I guess I just don't understand your posts.

Who the heck cares how much money the dealer is making off you/me except the dealer? It's called a free-market economy. So what if they only make a dollar? Or worse they lose money. That is their choice. It they don't like it then they are in the wrong business. If the customers whine that they are getting screwed then that should be OK. Our alternative is to live in a govt-price controlled state. That would be great I'm sure. Just look at the former USSR.

My suggestion is to look the other way if you don't like it that some people whine. If no one cared we would all pay $5 a gallon for unleaded gas. I personally like it that some people have enough where-with-all to stand up to the dealers/manufacturers and tell them that $6500 is too much for a dirt bike.

Another thing - don't take this personally. I don't know you. I just feel that "fair price" should really mean "whatever you are willing to pay for it" not "poor guy only makes $xxx off of my transaction."

That's ok, because I'll first admit I don't understand your communist statements or how it is remotely relevant to this discussion. I don't have anything against you camel-haggling your little heart out to get a great deal, I do just that, nor did I say you should accept whatever outrageous price some unscrupulous dealer would gouge you for. My point was simply 1)that most of the ridiculous deals you see on the net are bogus, and 2)that dealers are not building vacation homes in Tahiti like some whiners make it sound. If you want to whine go right ahead, I don't care and it won't change anything.

But since you asked, I'll comment on your statements:

*I just feel that "fair price" should really mean "whatever you are willing to pay for it"*

If you owned your own business you would not make that statement, it is not true. In a 'free market system' it is whatever you will pay and he will accept...the seller sets the price, whether he prices it too high to sell or not doesn't matter, it's his product and choice. Your only choice once you know what he will bottom line sell it for is to say 'yes' or 'no'. If enough people say 'no' he goes out of business or changes, but if he has enough 'yes' people to be profitable then his price is the current market price. The only way you or anyone can 'have the where-with-all to stand up to the dealers/manufacturers and tell them that $6500 is too much for a dirt bike.' is to not buy, it's that simple, because if someone will pay it then it's not too much in a 'free market system'.

*So what if they only make a dollar? Or worse they lose money. That is their choice. It they don't like it then they are in the wrong business.*

If you expect everyone you buy from to give things to you at no profit to themselves while you profit from your own line of work you are either unreasonable and don't grasp reality ,you do not understand the 'free market economy' you tout, or both.

*If the customers whine that they are getting screwed then that should be OK. Our alternative is to live in a govt-price controlled state.*

No, your alternative is to not purchase, and the 'free market' will adjust itself accordingly. Nobody is making you buy anything.

I'm not trying to bash you, just explain reality.

freestyle111- go get 'em tiger, change the world! Screw those nasty jerks willing to outpay you! And oh yeah, if 'fair price' is only 'whatever you are willing to pay for it' then I'd like you to come do some carpentry work at my house, I found a nickel in the couch today. :)

• freestyle111

Posted August 03, 2002 - 08:16 PM

mxaddict,if nobody bought a new bike from dealer during first month of its release the dealers would not go out of business.the overseas manufacturers would not let that happen.manufacturers would instead lower dealers cost.dealers are middleman without them there is nobody to sale and distribute manufacturers products.dealers are guarateed to make a certain percentage of profit on sales if going market rate is below dealer cost manufacturers will adjust price to dealer so they can sell for profit at current market price.my point is that we [consumers] are really controlling th cost of new bike,not dealer or manufacturer.they will both adjust the price to whatever we are willing to pay.since people are preordering bikes at high prices months in advance they are setting new market price.if dealers mark up is %15 above cost then it doesnt mattter to them if market price is $5000 or $7000 as long as there volume of sales is increased.they are still going to get %15 off each sale.

• skthom2320

Posted August 04, 2002 - 03:35 AM

mxaddict - I don't think you are bashing me. I actually think you and I are saying the same things just differently. :)

Regards,

Steve T

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.