Throttle position sensor poll

7 replies to this topic
  • luke_n

Posted July 09, 2004 - 10:53 AM

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1089399229luke_n">

TPS Poll
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />I have disconnected my TPS and im happy with no probs
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />I disconnected the TPS but it didnt change anything
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />I disconnected the TPS and my bike had problems or ran crap
<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />I like the way it runs disconnected but im worried to leave it
<input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />I am totally against disconnecting it. Your bikes will all blow up soon.
<input type="radio" name="option" value="6" />I am interested in eliminating the stutter but I want more info first
<input type="radio" name="option" value="7" />I am totally happy my bike has no steady throttle stutter at all
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Note that i am talking about the steady throttle stutter that occurs usually in third to fifth while trying to hold a steady speed at low throttle openings.

If you dont know what im talking about do a search and read up on what we've tried so far and if you have a wr pull the plug, give it a go and post the results.

If you do know what im talking about, plus you know what you are talking about I would like to get some opinions on possible long term problems.

• 5spoke

Posted July 09, 2004 - 12:00 PM

I am totally against disconnecting it. Your bikes will all blow up soon.

Dude, you've invited the whole world (guys who are jealous of our bikes and will do anything to discredit them) to tell us our bikes suck, when everyone knows they are the best bikes you can buy. Please take the, "your bikes will all blow up soon," away. :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted July 09, 2004 - 01:05 PM

you only ride street bikes at steady throttle anyway maybe people with that issue should get a fzr

• luke_n

Posted July 10, 2004 - 08:02 PM

I am totally against disconnecting it. Your bikes will all blow up soon.

Dude, you've invited the whole world (guys who are jealous of our bikes and will do anything to discredit them) to tell us our bikes suck,

Who cares?
We know they are awesome :thumbsup:
Seriously though it is a legitimate concern, we are taking something that the manufacturer installed and removing it. This is why i am hounding this issue i love the way the bike runs now but i have no idea how this sensor interfaces with the cdi. I believe and will continue to unless somebody can convince me otherwise that these sensors are there for motor safety.
People can tick that box for all their worth but unless they give me a good reason mine is staying unplugged.

Im annoyed with the surge cause wr's are rego'd in AUS and i do a 10 min road run to get to a riding area.
It'll be a cold day in hell before i get on another FZR mate had a 250 and it wouldnt pull the steam off a rice pudding, made some power from 19,000rpm to 20,000rpm and the first bump i hit i nutted myself on the tank. No thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brettv

Posted July 11, 2004 - 01:38 AM

gday, when you unplugged the tps, did it get rid of the 'surge' for you? i also ride a bit on the road and want to get rid of it, have u experienced any other side effects?

• ncmountainman

Posted July 11, 2004 - 04:55 AM

this was the first bike i've had with the tps and i noticed it working the first time i rode it hard(after the mods)when coming to a steep incline while lugging the motor it retards the timing enough to keep the pre-detonation in check,so it allows you to chug up the hill without downshifting.i'd say its a piston pleaser! p.s. just kidding about the fzr mate :thumbsup:

• luke_n

Posted July 11, 2004 - 03:26 PM

Yes it eliminated the surge instantly, the effect was very surprising. I unplugged it to test it out and it has rarely been hooked back up since. I am however leaning towards plugging it back in when i hit the dirt as I rarely even notice anything when im trailriding.
What you describe is what i am expecting to feel, i have felt it in EFI cars when the computer pulls a little timing back but thats usually at WOT and were talking knock sensors and airflow meters now. I have never felt anything like that even when i was first doing my baseline jetting, i did a couple of low rev runs up a hill to make sure there was no detonation issues. It pulled smoothly up through the revs as long as i was accelerating, if im riding aggresively there is no problem either the bike just will just not hold a steady speed with the sensor plugged in.
Just thinking now there is always the possibility that my sensor is in the wrong position, hmmm i'll be in the shed tonight.
Just out of curiosity do the aftermarket ignitions, vortex etc use the TPS?

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 12, 2004 - 09:22 AM

Like I have been saying all along. The TPS is for trials type riding and lugging the motor around in real world off road riding. I never ride at steady throttle anyway. Why lose a great off road feature for steady throttle? I have tried the mod and found it unacceptable! :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.