Changing Tires

21 replies to this topic

Posted August 01, 2002 - 03:12 AM

I am going to change my first tire by myself. Any tips?

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: #214 ]

• MOmilkman

Posted August 01, 2002 - 03:25 AM

Is this a puzzle game??

Ok, Ill play.

Lubing chain.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 01, 2002 - 03:30 AM

changing underwear

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Unibomber

Posted August 01, 2002 - 03:36 AM

Changing from dark paneling to sheetrock, I JUST WANT WHITE WALLS like the rest of the country....

Ok that was silly, but true, im goin to bed...

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: Unibomber ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 01, 2002 - 04:21 AM

I've GOT to stop posting so much... guess I'm waiting for my computer at work more than I thought.. Here's what I've learned:

1) Get some good tire irons, only a few bucks at the local motorcycle shop. Be careful, you're bound to slip with an iron and those things hurt if they fling back at you!
2) Warm rubber is more flexable, if you can leave the tires in the sun or something to get them warm
3) Work in small sections. Don't try to dismount or remount half the tire at once, work in small pieces until you get the hang of it.
4) If the rubber is getting stuck on the rim then use something like windex to make the tire slip. After it's on the windex will evaporate
5) When you put the new tire on, it may not appear to be on strait (some parts higher than others). It should fix itself after a short ride or lap around the track.
6) Put a small piece of duct tape over the bearings to keep the dirt out while you work.
7) ummm... practice makes perfect? Have patience!

It's not bad at all, especially if you have good irons. Maybe someone can give you more/better tips. Good luck!

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 01, 2002 - 04:29 AM

Windex Lots of windex

1: New tube also
2: Windex the bageepers inside the tire once one side is mounted
3: slide new tube in
4: inflat new tube untill just round 1 - 2 psi
5: Windex thew bageepers out of the outside tire
6: start at the RIM Lock making sure both beads are in the inside deepest pocket of the rim
7: before starting 1 - 6 get some good tire irons

• Hokie

Posted August 01, 2002 - 05:11 AM

beer, it helps you not feel the banged up knuckles.

Don't get discouraged, my first time changing tires took forever because I did not know what I was doing.

• bassr_#186

Posted August 01, 2002 - 05:12 AM

Keep the tire pressed into the center bead while you are working your way around with the tire irons. I usually step on both sides of the tire while mounting. This makes it much easier because you are not having to stretch the tire so far. I usually dont even have to apply soapy water or windex until the tire is mounted (this also helps because the tire irons are less likely to slip off). I then apply soapy water to both sides to get the tire to seat in the rim during inflation.

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted August 01, 2002 - 05:45 AM

Pay your local shop the 10 bucks and have them do it. Took me 2 1/2 hours on my first one and a popped tube. The patch leaked and it went flat in 2 days. Luckily it lasted long enough for me to ride the next day.
Also get a heavy duty tube.

• moto_madman

Posted August 01, 2002 - 05:54 AM

Get a friend to help.

It took me and my stepfather about an hour to do out first tire.

if your doing a rear tire make sure the sprocket is facing down or you will shred you knuckles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hokie

Posted August 01, 2002 - 06:08 AM

While you have the tire off replace the flimsy piece of rubber covering the spoke nipples with some duct tape.

• Merfman

Posted August 01, 2002 - 06:25 AM

The A#1 hint for avoiding pinched tubes is this:

Once the tube has been inserted into the tire, air it up a couple of times to allow the tube to seat itself. Let almost all the air out, but leave about 1-2 PSI in it.. just enough for it to keep it's round shape. That will keep it off the sidewall of the rim and out of pinch territory.

• AZ918MAN

Posted August 01, 2002 - 08:01 AM

Dude I can do a tire in about 15-20 min. I prefer MR.Clean to windex. just start small and use small bites with the tire iron( i prefer motionpro mediums 18.00 a piece). just work slow until you get the hang of it. also always work disc side up so you can hook an iron under it and use both hands on the otherone . like i said i can do a tire in about 15-20 min( i work at a bike shop and i get to do most of the tires). Also when putting tire back on with the tube in it, take very small bites and be carefunl how deep you go with irons or you will be buying a new tube.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 01, 2002 - 09:03 PM

Another tip would be sure that you're in direct sunlight while mounting the tire. And rememeber sun block is for wimps. Its also prefferable to have the humidity level above 80%, and have a dog take a dump within 10-12 feet of where you'll be working. The lingering flys and aromatics help dramatically. Especially in the 115 degree heat of the direct sun light.

The reason for this? That next beer is gonna be the best of your life.

LOL I was laughing so hard while writing this, I couldnt hardly type! Just picture the above. Some poor half drunk, sun burned hack out in the driveway wrestling with a motorcycle tire, his knuckles all ripped up, and then he blows the thing up and the tube is pinched. Its like a train wreck, ya cant watch, but you cant look away either.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 01, 2002 - 09:08 PM

I'm gonna put together a video and sell it

Egos 15 min tire burn :D

Geez I can not believe it is taking people up to two hrs to replace a freaking tire.

Im seriuos I'm going to video "tire replace 101"

No wonder the Parts guy I got me parts from was shocked I did my own forks and shocks. He said DUUUDE !!!Like I never new anyone who did his own work dude like freaking unbalievable mannnnn! AlllRight

See what todays muzic has done to our kids :)

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• evl2evil

Posted August 01, 2002 - 09:27 PM

Shawn Mc, thats to funny i'm still lmao.Then after the poor fool thinks he's done an sits down to enjoy a beer he see's the rim lock that he forgot to put back in layin in the driveway.

• Kirtwell

Posted August 01, 2002 - 09:42 PM

I can change mine in 14 minutes :)
No really...I can :D

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted August 01, 2002 - 12:19 PM

The reason it took 2 hours was because I had to do it essetially twice. I popped the tube with like 5 inched left on the tire, so I had to take it off and then sand down the spot on the tube, patch it, wait for the patch to dry, then start over again. Of course I decided to do it the night before riding.
Darn stiff wall Michelin.

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: Oregon Thumper ]

• rideitlikeyastoleit98

Posted August 01, 2002 - 11:42 PM

Use a lot of WD-40 or similar lubricant. If you have a tire iron or two you shouldn't have a problem. I've done my rear tire in about 15 minutes. Practice makes perfect. Good luck.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 02, 2002 - 02:37 AM

On a tire

Geez mang ok lets just pour 30 wt oil on it.

Always Windex or a liquid soap mixture, these will evaporate,,,Lubricants stay lubricants.

This can cause the tire to spin right off the rim or worst.

Geez Lubs my gad where did ya get that one from the Cannondale group :D

[ August 02, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.