UFO chain slider a piece of crap?

5 replies to this topic
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted July 09, 2004 - 06:32 AM

I just replaced my (what I assume to be the stock) chain slider (front of swing arm) and put a new UFO unit on it. I have ridden the bike about 100 mi. on dirt roads/two-tracks, and the think is almost worn completely through. When I sit on the bike the chain is about a half inch above the slider when it is taught, so I don't know how it would wear out so fast. Are these units just junk? My chain is just a tad tight, but it's not like a bow string at all. Would running the chain a tad loose make any difference? As far as sag is concerned, the bike is set for a lighter rider than 195lbs. so I don't think that is a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Is there a better brand of chain slider I should use? What are your guys' thoughts?

• blireef

Posted July 09, 2004 - 09:43 AM

Use a MSR or TM design guard or an OEM one.. All of the UFO plastic is crap, it lasts about 30% of what the stock plastic does. And the holes rarely match up well.. Just my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 09, 2004 - 09:48 AM

Yes, the UFO slider is a piece of crap. I got one once thinking I was clever because it was cheap but it lasted only a few rides before it was toast. I stick with OEM now. One hint for prolonging the life of these things: glue them down to the top of the swingarm. I use "Automotive Goop". It keeps it from flopping around and wearing prematurely.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R_Little

Posted July 09, 2004 - 09:57 AM

It fits poorly and wears out your swingarm too.

I'll never use one again.

• Hamish

Posted July 09, 2004 - 12:20 PM

I put a UFO slider on a few months ago. I ride every weekend. It's worn, but still has a lot of life left. I put some 3mm rubber mat on top of the swingarm and stuck it down with sikaflex.

• The_Missile

Posted July 12, 2004 - 01:17 AM

Motomans Fix on the Chaine SLider

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.