shattered damping rods

12 replies to this topic
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 31, 2002 - 06:09 PM

came up a fewfeet short and flat landed a huge stepdown table the other day. landed rear tire first to try and softent he blow, but the leverage slammed my front end down and my forks went poop. i ripped them open last night and found my damper rods in pieces, anyone have this problem?

• grashoper250

Posted July 31, 2002 - 07:51 PM

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 01, 2002 - 02:39 AM

What missing the Jump ? :D

Or shattered Forks ?

My Guess Jump
No not me I cant even make it around a tt corner with out crashing :)

Man nilla thats going to be expensive, Are you looking into a set of PC or Ohlins

• yznvegas

Posted August 01, 2002 - 05:21 AM

Was the suspension dialed in for your weight and riding ability?

How big a guy are you? I don't think they should have grenaded like that on you.

• needsprayer

Posted August 01, 2002 - 07:48 AM

It's hard to find springs for a 600lb gorilla. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 01, 2002 - 09:37 PM

Thats brutal. Ive never heard of that. You should post that on on the Suspension page. Jeremy Wilkey could probably direct you to a problem, but he's out racing for the next couple of weeks.

Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted August 01, 2002 - 11:10 AM

This is wild!!!!

The rod should have never taken an impact like that. Did someone modify your fork?

Bummer that Yamaha doesn't sell these separate from the cartridge assemblies.

I may have a set aroud here, but they need some restoration.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted August 01, 2002 - 02:51 PM

oh i already took care of replacement parts. i work at a aftermarket parts dealer and was able to get a hold of some trick kayaba factory parts , hehehe. anyways, im about 230lbs and the suspensionw as set up for my weight, and for agressive motocross riding, by factory connection. it wasnt their fault. i know kawisaki's had thsi problem a few years ago, so im thinking its a yamaha brainfart or something, but im not too worried. I got it almost all back together. Anyways, it was a really really hard hit that caused those things to snap. I dont think ive ever even come close to bottoming my forks so hard before, so im not really surprised that something gave way.

• starttman

Posted August 01, 2002 - 03:01 PM

talk to Rees Firestone at Pro-Action Suspension
he is excellant . his # is 610-797-7740

also drop some pounds.....if your over 250 lbs. you should have the springs redone.heavier springs would have saved you.also revalving.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted August 01, 2002 - 03:20 PM

i have factory connections 4.9 and 6.0 springs as well as thier motocross race valving. im well aware of what effects my suspension. and the valving and springs did not save me did they?

• needsprayer

Posted August 01, 2002 - 04:50 PM

Can you post a picture of the damaged damper rods. I would like to see if they exploded or crumpled.

• White_YZ

Posted August 02, 2002 - 05:45 AM

I would just like to know how close to the cap the rods snapped.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted August 02, 2002 - 06:19 AM

they snapped about 4-6 inches below the cap and took the plastic spring guides with them. one of them is in 4 pieces, the other in 10 or so. ill get a pic as soon as possible. do you think yamaha had a batch of brittle rods and maybe did not care to let anyone know, or correct the problem? ive already fixed the forks though with new rods and spring guides, as well as comletely dissassembled the forks to clean out any chunks that mave have gotten into it. also new seals installed.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.