Broken upper subframe bolt

Hi everyone,

This past weekend I went riding. Once I pulled my bike off the trailer I noticed my upper subframe bolt backed out. I thought it was loose so I tried tightening it. DOH! It appears the bolt broke off just under the threads. The threaded part is still in the frame!

Ok, so here is my question regarding removal. I am asking before looking too closely so bear with me. Do the threads in the frame continue all the way through? Can I use a bolt extractor on the opposite side and thread it all the way through?

I know it won't be easy extracting it the other way because the subframe is longer then the extractor. Geez I hope I am explaining myself well enough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Fryboy ?

I'm a bit unclear as to where exactly yours broke.

If I recall correctly... the subframe has two pieces of tube and mates to a single tube on the frame that fits between the two subframe tubes. The left side sf tube and the frame tube are not threaded and only the right side sf tube has threads.

Jay

I'm a bit unclear as to where exactly yours broke.

If I recall correctly... the subframe has two pieces of tube and mates to a single tube on the frame that fits between the two subframe tubes. The left side sf tube and the frame tube are not threaded and only the right side sf tube has threads.

Jay

You are correct sir! The part of the bolt that is stuck is in the threaded side. Only the threaded part of the bolt is stuck in there. See this picture: Pic Look at bolt# 8. If you are looking at the picture its the left side it is stuck in.

Fryboy

Fryboy, the same thing happened to me last year. If I recall correctly, the hole should be threaded all the way through, but that shouldn't matter. It turned out to be pretty easy to get out for me. Carefully drill it from the open end (the right side of the bike according to the diagram). The bolt should start turning and come right out from the side it broke off on. Try some PB Blaster or WD 40 to help it start to break loose if it doesn't work right away.

I replaced the busted bolt with a stronger (and less expensive) one from Ace Hardware. The Ace in my town has a kick-ass metric fastener section.

Same here. When I broke it off, I was able to get it out with a pick, it was a loose fit.

Easy out, its not torqued too tightly.

I thought the darn think was busted cause I was expecting two bolts, not one long one.

I soon found my mistake after I started to drill it out and am thankful it came out easily before I did too much damage !! Replacement was easy to find.