Radiator ?????

12 replies to this topic
  • dragon174

Posted July 09, 2004 - 03:24 AM

what would/could be causing the fluid in my radiator bottle to boil????? how would i fix this?

:thumbsup:

• DesertChris

Posted July 09, 2004 - 09:28 AM

You have to keep the bike moving and you stop to rest, even if it is just for a moment, shut it down. If this isn't the case your jetting might be a little on the lean side. I have ridden in outside temps of 117°F for a couple of hours without boiling the coolant.

• JVP

Posted July 09, 2004 - 11:54 AM

Ride Man! Ride! :thumbsup:

• xteamrider

Posted July 09, 2004 - 11:55 AM

I agree. I've only had my bike boil over once and it totally freaked me out. It was the only time where I let it sit idling for some 5 minutes after a gnarly hill climb in the rain while I waited for my girly to catch up. Now I always shut her down instead of letting it idle.

• duckboy

Posted July 09, 2004 - 03:15 PM

I installed a drz400s radiator fan. Not so much for the idling, which it can do indefinetly now, but I've noticed it restarts better when I stall in the trees. It also seems to run at more even temperatures, the coolent doesn't make the gurgling coffe pot sound any more either. Just keep in mind I haven't ridden it when it's been above 75F I've only had it two months and ridden it on six weekends.

• Brettv

Posted July 09, 2004 - 08:26 PM

gday, you think you could post some pics of the fans on your radiator, i was thinkin of doing the same thing to my 99wrf400, ie sitting at lights.
what year is your bike and were they easy to install?
Cheers - Brett :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • duckboy

Posted July 10, 2004 - 05:45 AM

gday, you think you could post some pics of the fans on your radiator, i was thinkin of doing the same thing to my 99wrf400, ie sitting at lights.
what year is your bike and were they easy to install?
Cheers - Brett :thumbsup:

You will need to check to see if you have the same amount of room behind the center tab of the right radiator shroud as my bike does. I have a 2004wr450 with devol radiator guards and gytr 3.4gal. tank. The fan only has enough room on the right side mounted flat to the devol guard brace using two of the three tabs. It only fits one way and that is if you move the fan motor to the inside of the the fan bracket, this requires a 5.5mm socket and a phillps head screw driver. I used two insulated stake on wire connectors to connect to the fan plug, a water resistant toggle switch, and a 3amp in line fuse. It needs a two amp fuse to start but actually draws 0.15amps when it's running. The whole thing took about an hour and a half. I did end up shaving off the center tab on the right shroud, the fan does not stick out but the tab did. I'll post a picture if I can figure out this URL thing.The suzuki p/n is 17800-29f00 and was about $180us. Anyway good luck!

• duckboy

Posted July 16, 2004 - 02:32 PM

Hurray I finally figured out how to show my pictures! So take a look and you'll see just how tight this fan fits. I put a white napkin behind it to show the clearence better. It's a got about 3/16 of an inch all the way around. www.imagestation.com

• jaggley

Posted July 16, 2004 - 03:09 PM

tell me how to post pics, cause i haven't figured it out. Please go step by step.

• 5spoke

Posted July 16, 2004 - 03:30 PM

Here you go. I found the close ups and edited this message to include them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• duckboy

Posted July 16, 2004 - 03:45 PM

You should be able to see three pictures, two are close up and the top view 5spoke put up for me. As for how I found out how to see the pictures at imagestation.com, I just went to the website 5spoke used in his bio. I made an album and copied the url address.

• Maddog542

Posted July 18, 2004 - 08:04 PM

I overheated on a deep woods ride where speeds were pretty slow for a little while going uphill. I'm going to try this waterless XF+ coolant from Zip-Ty. Has anyone else tried this stuff, and what were the results?

• ncmountainman

Posted July 19, 2004 - 07:27 AM

if its anything like engine ice couldn't really tell the diff

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.