Weird pricing issues..gimme some help

11 replies to this topic
  • rOOster14

Posted July 09, 2004 - 12:48 AM

Ok, so im actually searching for a yz250f but in my search i came upon...ads from dealers, for brand spanking new 450f's for 5300$ and the 250f is still priced by the same dealer for 5200$, can anyone give me some insight to why there is such a dramatic price difference, from the MSRP of what 6300 dollars to almost 1100 dollars less? :thumbsup:
-rOOster-

• ovrrdrive

Posted July 09, 2004 - 02:07 AM

I don't know the answer to your question, but I just got a smoking deal on a YZ450f. I got it for $4900 + $200 shipping from www.rockriverpowersports.com . Mike was a great guy to deal with and the bike is amazing.

I looked locally and they all wanted MSRP + dealer prep. So basically by ordering from RRPS I got the YZ450f and a free TTR125L for my wife going by the prices they charge locally.

Funny thing is they swear there is hardly any profit on the new bikes here. They refuse to come off one red cent so they lost the entire sale from me.

Talk to Mike and tell him you read about him on TT. He'll hook you up. :thumbsup:

• SC_Spode

Posted July 11, 2004 - 11:31 AM

Supply and demand.
The 450's aren't selling well and Yamaha was offering as much as $400 cash back on them to help move them. They may be offering other incentives to dealers to allow them to cut prices further.
I've seen the 450 for $4799 OTD.
Sort of like the 2003 KX250 that was seen selling for $3799 because they weren't moving them.
Sometimes you can get a great deal on a good bike in this sort of situation.

:thumbsup:

• savmac

Posted July 11, 2004 - 09:58 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm going to buy a yz450f on friday. At the dealer there's a big window sticker for the 450 for $4999 plus free gear. Inside the sticker on the bike says $6250 "OTD". These guys own all the yamaha dealers in town. How can I get leverage against them with the $1250 extra for TTL and shipping? How do I know what all those extra charges really are? :thumbsup: I feel like I'm at a used car lot!

• Husky_Forever

Posted July 11, 2004 - 10:30 PM

All dealers on Yamaha and Honda make 30% on bikes + freight and setup if you are willing to pay that too. PLUS they get incentives ($) at the end of the year for how many bikes they sell during the year. I used the Motorcycle brokers price and LA Hondas price to get my dealer to knock off 20% on bike plus no shipping or set up. For every 5 dealers that say no, there is one dealer that will say yes. He knows there is money at the end of the year as well and not everyone is going to ask or know what the deals are. Ask for 20% off on all parts as well. My dealer thru in that as well. It happens to even regular joes like myself. :thumbsup:

• endurodog

Posted July 12, 2004 - 01:42 AM

I looked locally and they all wanted MSRP + dealer prep

I had the same thing with Vickery here in Denver. I found a WR450 cheaper on the net a state away. Vickery wouldn't budge on the price and was actually kinda rude. I went out of state, got a great price and the dealer was great to work with. He even told me that Vickery could have beat his price and still made money. So I'm not sure how much mark up there is on a bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SC_Spode

Posted July 12, 2004 - 06:49 AM

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm going to buy a yz450f on friday. At the dealer there's a big window sticker for the 450 for $4999 plus free gear. Inside the sticker on the bike says $6250 "OTD". These guys own all the yamaha dealers in town. How can I get leverage against them with the $1250 extra for TTL and shipping? How do I know what all those extra charges really are? :thumbsup: I feel like I'm at a used car lot!

Go here and find the 2004 YZ450F ad. Print it out and show them that you can order one for $4999 plus $200 to have it delivered. Tell them you'd like to do business but you can't justify spending $1000 more than you have to.
If they don't want to match the price... walk. There are a lot of dealers that are making very good deals on these bikes right now and the ones that don't will be stuck with them.
Look around if you don't want to get it from NAMB.

:devil:

• Mossman

Posted July 12, 2004 - 09:11 AM

Don't forget service. If the shop you buy from is always at the local races and are willing to help you get the setup correct, that is worth something. If you don't do all of your own maintenance (valve adjustments, top end rebuilds, warranty work), you really need to consider the service side of the bike price.

Everyone likes to get the bottom dollar for the bike, but you also have to remember that you might need something from that bike shop in the future.

In the previous example of taking in an ad and walking if the shop doesn't match it, I disagree. If the shop is willing to work with you, and maybe meet you halfway, you might want to consider it.

Just my thoughts (and I don't own a shop...)
Joe

• niknak770

Posted July 12, 2004 - 09:44 AM

I went to Chicago Cycle Center (9320 N. Western Ave. North Chicago) and got a 2004 YZ450 for get this.... $4395+set up fee. And cause I drove over 40 miles to get the Yamaha I got a $50 gift certificate (got some nice Oakley goggles). The 250f's were $4295+set up. I think that was the best deal I found anywhere. I saw the ad in the wisconsin version of the Bike Trader weekly and had to jump on it. :thumbsup:

• ovrrdrive

Posted July 12, 2004 - 12:18 PM

Out of curiosity, how much was the "setup" fee?

• savmac

Posted July 16, 2004 - 06:21 PM

Don't forget service. If the shop you buy from is always at the local races and are willing to help you get the setup correct, that is worth something. If you don't do all of your own maintenance (valve adjustments, top end rebuilds, warranty work), you really need to consider the service side of the bike price.

Everyone likes to get the bottom dollar for the bike, but you also have to remember that you might need something from that bike shop in the future.

In the previous example of taking in an ad and walking if the shop doesn't match it, I disagree. If the shop is willing to work with you, and maybe meet you halfway, you might want to consider it.

Just my thoughts (and I don't own a shop...)
Joe

I went out to buy my bike today. I decided to go to the dealer so that I could establish a relationship w/the shop and be able to have a place to go if I needed anything. The salesguy quoted me $4999 for the yz450, $6700 out the door :thumbsup: I laughed at him! I had to bargain hard for about an hour to get out the door for $5900. Still more than I wanted to pay but I was happy. After I paid up (cash) the saleguy acted as if he didn't even know me. No thank you's no good-bye's no nothin! All I can say is I'm not at all happy with the customer service and respect they gave me. On the positive side, I'm totally stoked about my new 450. Took it for a test ride - the thing is a BEAST!!!

• crf450f

Posted July 26, 2004 - 05:08 AM

Yeah, Some Dealer don't like it if you pay cash, They make even more money if you finance it. I acted like I was going to finance the whole thing, so they gave me a killer price 5000.00 OTD. I turned around and paid the thing off when I got the first bill. BTW the financing was at 29%, wors than a credit card!! he he.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.