'99 yz400 low compression - please help

5 replies to this topic
  • blibzool

Posted July 08, 2004 - 10:56 PM

I just bought my first bike, a '99 yz400f, two weeks ago. I rode it three or four times and it seemed to run great except for a lot of backfiring on deceleration. Now after sitting overnight i can't get it to even try to start. I usually had some trouble starting it but figured that was do to my lack of experience. Now it seems to have low compression. It's not zero compression but i can now kick it all the way down with out using the decompression lever most of the time. All i can get out of it is an occassional loud backfire after many kicks. I use the starting drill outlined on this site. I checked the plug and it isn't wet and i don't think it's fouled but i'm not sure if i would know. The bike didn't seem to smoke at all when it was running. I searched this site and saw some stuff about stuck vavles - is that a possibility or does it sound like it needs a piston and rings? What should i do? Any advice is much appreciated.

• Hamish

Posted July 09, 2004 - 02:06 AM

had a similar problem with mine twice (after engine re-assembly), was a valve being partrially held open, possibly by some dislodged carbon from the combustion chamber. Mix up some 2 stroke fuel at 50:1 or more, push the bike down a big hill with the decomp lever pulled in and bump start it. Run it on the 2 stroke fuel for about 10 minutes. Obviously if it's something more serious then this plan of attatck wont work, but it's definately worth a try.

• blibzool

Posted July 12, 2004 - 08:47 AM

thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it as soon as i get a chance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bushy

Posted July 12, 2004 - 09:38 AM

If all else fails... use a bigger hill!

• yathump

Posted July 12, 2004 - 09:55 AM

My 426 did the same about a month ago i finally got it running by pulling the plug and kicking it over about 40 times i put a fresh plug in(just because) and 2 kicks later it came to life.
Good luck

• Freestyle666

Posted July 13, 2004 - 12:10 PM

Mine has just done the exact same thing noticed loss off power and when i try to kick the bike off just a bit off compression allthough when decomp lever is pressed it dos relieve a bit off compression any one no how to sort this with out taking to the local dealer cheers Lee :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.